Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Radiator question

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2019, 4:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator question

Unfortunately my 2016 Express needs a new radiator, not too happy about that. It has been leaking sooslo for a while now but I think I am going to have to change it. I went to order a new one and there is always a question of with or without sensor hole. Not sure how to tell which one I need or where to find out on my existing radiator. Anyone have an idea.
Old March 17th, 2019, 2:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Nobody?
Old March 17th, 2019, 3:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

My guess is, does it have a level light on the dash, i.e. coolant low? Look at an image of the radiator, locate the sensor hole from the image, then look at your existing radiator.
Old March 17th, 2019, 3:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
My guess is, does it have a level light on the dash, i.e. coolant low? Look at an image of the radiator, locate the sensor hole from the image, then look at your existing radiator.
Yeah, I tried to look at pictures online of one's with the sensor hole and without but I don't think they really show werever the hole is. I even called a number on a radiator website that says talk to one of our professionals to make sure you get the right radiator but he had no idea, I think he was no proffesional. I will have to look in the manual online to see if it says anything about the sensor.
Thanks for responding. It just kinda sucks that a 3 year old van needs a new radiator.
Old March 17th, 2019, 5:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Just get the one with the hole. If your van doesn't have the sensor, then stick a 3/8 NPT plug in it. They cost two dollars.
Old March 17th, 2019, 6:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The rad I last got had a factory push and turn plug in the extra hole so it could be used either way.
Old March 17th, 2019, 6:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
The rad I last got had a factory push and turn plug in the extra hole so it could be used either way.
When I was checking them out online there was about $50.00 difference in price, that's why I haven't just went ahead and gotten one but that may be what I have to do.
Old March 17th, 2019, 6:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Did you look at your radiator? It seems to me that there's either wires going to it, or there's not.
Old March 17th, 2019, 8:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i guess some vans come with a temp sensor in the radiator......i just changed my radiator in my 2013 express 1500 5.3.....i didnt have a temp sensor in mine......look at this page.......

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-p...omponents-scat

i may be in the drivers side of the radiator.........ALSO.....getting the air out of this system is a process......post up if you have an issue getting the air out.....
Old March 17th, 2019, 8:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you can also use the same page to enter your VIN to get your specific part....if you can get the GM OEM part number you can cross reference it with a possible aftermarket number.....

Quick Reply: Radiator question