Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

rear drum removal

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2019, 7:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear drum removal

hi. i have a 2002 express 3500, 13 inch rear drums, single wheel. need to check brakes. i am having a very hard time in getting off the drums. tried prying with screwdrivers, crow bars, made a puller with chain and jack. nothing is helping. i had them off once before and did not have this much trouble. anyone have trouble with theirs? i am guessing there is a ridge in the edge of the drum hanging up on the shoe preventing me from pulling it off. read i could grind off the shoe retaining pin from the back side and everything should release and fall off. wanted to get other opinions before i go that route. thanks.
Old July 1st, 2019, 11:00 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

It's been a while since I worked on drum brakes but they typically have a rubber plug covering a slot that you use to tighten the self adjuster. The drum will then come off.

They can also get stuck on the hub. A little penetrating spray, outward force and hammer taps will break it free of the hub.
Old July 1st, 2019, 1:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

yup use the adjuster

Old July 2nd, 2019, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a slotted thick plate of steel ( i used a piece from a tire changer) you can use two bolts and pull the drum off as you tighten them up. Worked really well for me!
Old July 3rd, 2019, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Release the parking brake! Caught my son doing this once.

What? It could happen.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 10:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, release parking brake, fiddle with adjuster, if shoes are stuck against drum still, mallet on flat of drum.