Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Rough start when hot. FIXED. 305 TBI G2500 Vandura.

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2016, 3:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough start when hot. FIXED. 305 TBI G2500 Vandura.

People come here, get the information they need, fix their problems and never explain how they did it. They never come back to the forum.
It took my about 10 minutes to post this, with pictures.
I had a problem, did research, found the solution and I'm now sharing it with you.

My Vandura is old, 1991 model, paid $1,400 for it. It has the 5.7L 305 TBI engine, weak and abused with about 195k + miles.
My van runs like a champ on the road, BUT, it was a pain to start the engine after driving a bit.
So for example, after going to the grocery store, it was taking forever to get it to start.
Cranking eternally the engine, spinning and trying to start to then die again immediately.
The only way I was able to get it to start was by flooring the gas all the way as soon as the engine was coming alive.
But I got tired of that, and did research online, looking for the solution.

COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR was my issue, I bought one at rockauto.com for $8 shipped to my door, you can't go wrong.

Now look at this thing, how in the world was this possible, this was my problem.
The computer was extremely confused I guess.

This is what I used.

3/16 deep socket, 1/2 ratchet, 1/2 breaker bar

But where's the COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR??? you will ask, I was looking for mine as well, here it is.

That is it. Like Lego, remove the part, install the part, problem fixed.

THIS WAS MY PROBLEM, I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL FIX YOUR PROBLEM, BUT FOR $8 YOU CAN GO WRONG.

Thanks and please share your solutions in order to make the world a better place.
Comment if this help you out somehow.
-Leo "Keep your van, love your van."
Old June 16th, 2016, 4:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this where the temp gauge gets its reading?

im getting a long start after restarting when the engine is warm.
waiting about 5 secs after the fuel pump primes normally gets me a normal cranking start
Old June 16th, 2016, 1:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if it only happen after a hot soak it could very well be a bad ect sensor or open wiring.
if the ecm gets a false reading from the ect sensor -40*C which will occur is the circuit is open or the sensor is bad; the pcm will over richen the fuel mixture. you may also get bad mileage.

depending on your build, a hard start after a hot soak can also be from injector leakdown or a leaking fpr.
what year and engine
Old June 18th, 2016, 10:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a 2001 1500 LT. 5.7 vortec.

It happened after upgrading to the mpfi spider.
I've replaced the FPR on that new FI spide, but it didnt change antything.

I need to double check how long the fuel pressure holds.

How long is it supposed to hold pressure?

If it drops pressure within minutes....it could be a leaking injector or the valve in the fuel pump releasing pressure right?