Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Sliding door track issue, peeling coating fix?

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2017, 8:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sliding door track issue, peeling coating fix?

Hello, it's been years since I have been on the forum. I already tried a search but came short. I am working on my '07 Express and have the sliding side door removed for some body work. While I have door off I would like to fix the exterior roller track. The problem is the coating on the track is starting to peel and rust underneath. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with issue and they did to fix it? A replacement is like $150+ and I am hoping to fix the one I have. Thanks in advance.
Old September 11th, 2017, 9:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pictures would be nice.
Old September 12th, 2017, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

Had the same on my 2002 express. Black powder coating peeling off. Lucky for me it never started to rust. I thought maybe it was aluminum or something.
At any rate, if you can separate that part from the truck you could have it sand blasted and re finished....
To fix it on the truck would be a massive pita.. You may be able to feather off the chipped finish, re prime and repaint....but it will continue to peel.
Old September 12th, 2017, 7:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what's going on. I called a few powder coating places today and the best quote was $60, it's more than I wanted to spend but a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

Old September 12th, 2017, 8:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by northey87
Here is what's going on. I called a few powder coating places today and the best quote was $60, it's more than I wanted to spend but a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

Thanks for the pic's.