Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Speedometer Drops to Zero

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2010, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer Drops to Zero

Hey guys i need a little help with my 2008 Chevy Express, while driving on the
HWY i noticed the speedometer dropped to zero, also the transmission went to first gear and did not accelerate out of that until i pulled over and turn off ignition and restarted it. restarting the car is a temp. fix. does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be
Old June 3rd, 2015, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with the same year van. Did you ever get a resolution to this?
Old June 3rd, 2015, 8:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speed sensor? Did you check for codes?
Old June 3rd, 2015, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

No dash lights or error codes
Old June 3rd, 2015, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What did you use to check for codes? Dash light is not a reliable indicator. I would suggest a trip to a tranny only shop and have them road test it....and use their shop machine to check the odb2......It sounds electrical. If it was mechanical then restarting the engine would not fix anything......
Old June 4th, 2015, 9:39 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by acare86
Hey guys i need a little help with my 2008 Chevy Express, while driving on the
HWY i noticed the speedometer dropped to zero, also the transmission went to first gear and did not accelerate out of that until i pulled over and turn off ignition and restarted it. restarting the car is a temp. fix. does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be
Hello acare86,

We apologize for the difficulties you're currently having with the transmission in your 2008 Express. Have you made your servicing dealership aware of this issue? We'd be more than happy to facilitate this process on your behalf and work toward a possible solution. If you're interested, feel free to send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership in a private message.

We look forward to your message!

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 6th, 2015, 7:32 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello acare86,

We apologize for the difficulties you're currently having with the transmission in your 2008 Express. Have you made your servicing dealership aware of this issue? We'd be more than happy to facilitate this process on your behalf and work toward a possible solution. If you're interested, feel free to send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership in a private message.

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hope the original poster sees this and gets the problem taken care of! I'll post a link in another thread where poster had same issue. GM needs to "reach out" to that person as well given that their issue started after having the dealership service the vehicle.

So Jasmine... What about all of us with failed intake gaskets or oem paint that peels off in sheets? (Tumbleweeds and cricket sounds begin now.)
<script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script>

Last edited by lunghd; June 6th, 2015 at 7:35 AM.
Old June 6th, 2015, 2:53 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lunghd
Hope the original poster sees this and gets the problem taken care of! I'll post a link in another thread where poster had same issue. GM needs to "reach out" to that person as well given that their issue started after having the dealership service the vehicle.

So Jasmine... What about all of us with failed intake gaskets or oem paint that peels off in sheets? (Tumbleweeds and cricket sounds begin now.)
<script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script><script type="text/javascript">window.onbeforeunload = function() {}</script>
Hi lunghd,

We evaluate each customer concern on a case by case basis. However, if you have encountered issues with the intake gasket or paint we're more than happy to investigate this matter as well. If you'd like to send us more specific details about your vehicle and situation we're available via private message to discuss.

Thanks,
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 7th, 2015, 7:53 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amber: this calls for more than a PM but I don't want to hijack the original poster's thread. I'll start a new thread.
Old March 28th, 2016, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello acare86,

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care
I still have the same problem. It is now getting worse (almost 1 year later). The Chevy dealership looked at it (twice), charged me a couple hundred bucks and said that they could not find anything. I am very frustrated as I feel like I have a lemon of a vehicle and Chevy can't fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Speedometer Drops to Zero