Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Steering Box Adjustment ??

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2010, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Box Adjustment ??

Has anyone had experience adjusting the steering box? My 2000 Express 3500 has a lot of play in the wheel, about 5 inches. The steering components under the car look reasonably tight and the play seems to be in the box itself. I underestand there is a screw and a lock nut to adjust the internal gears tighter. I also noticed a movement between the rubber boot where the steerring collum goes into the steering box, so it might be a worn univeresal joint there also. Any suggestions ? Thanks.
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Apparently there is an adjustment screw on the front of the steering box to adjust any play in the steering. Can be researched on line.
Old June 27th, 2014, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought an 2003 Chevy 3500 express cutaway van. Class B+ motorhome. I took it to a new place to get the tires rotated and balanced. They told me my pitman arm and idler arm was bad and needed replaced. My gut said no but I was planning a vacation and didnt want any trouble on the road.
Picked it up and now the vehicle has a lot of play in the steering. Then they said because they replaced and the other parts, now it needs tie rod ends. Replaced them and now they say it is the gear box/ steering box. The steering was perfect before I took it in and now it has all this play. Someone told me you could probably tighten the steering box. Is this possible and how to do it. Thanks for any help.