Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Steering column swap - key - passlock - ? 2001-2002

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2022, 2:40 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Steering column swap - key - passlock - ? 2001-2002

Was browsing an auction list and saw a 2001 Express that notes it has no key. No key usually means cheap.

Is there any reason I can't just swap in a column from a 2002 that does have a key and get it to go, or is the passlock deal going to prevent that? I can't remember if that system is all in the column and independent or if it's tied to the computer. The keys don't have a chip in them or anything which leads me to believe I can do it, but figured I should ask.

Old June 4th, 2022, 2:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Changing the Passlock™ Components

The following components contain codes or passwords, or must learn codes or passwords for the Passlock™ system to allow the vehicle to start:
• The ignition lock cylinder case
• The theft deterrent control module (Passlock™ Module)
• The powertrain control module (PCM)

If any of these parts are replaced, a learn procedure must be performed.

If parts are replaced and a learn procedure is not performed, the engine will crank and will not run or will start and stall immediately.
Old June 4th, 2022, 2:59 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Is there a link on that I can follow to see what the relearn procedure is?

I think I did that once with the 2002 and it failed to solve the problem, you turned the key on and off so many times in 10 minutes or something.
Old June 4th, 2022, 3:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

A mechanic or maybe locksmith can do it quickly with a Tech2 tool, or you can use the long procedure

30 Minute Learn Procedure

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. The history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.