Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Service theft system

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2014, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service theft system

I recently acquired a 2005 Uplander LS. It only came with 1 key. I had a non chipped key cut mostly for unlocking purposes but when my soon to be father in law told me to try holding the original key on top of the ignition column while turning the non chipped key to see if I could just "disassemble the column and tape the original key there and use non chipped keys" aka a redneck bypass module. To my surprise it did work with the original key on top of the column, however after moving the original key away from the column I got the "Service Theft System" message on the DIC. I've gone back to using only the original key and have a 2nd strattec blank on its way from eBay, however the message remains.

I'm hoping that I can do a full 30 Minute relearn once I get the new key cut and then readd the old key. My question is, if I do the relearn will I be able to readd the old key or will it be "blacklisted".

Also I seem to have the picky ignition lock cylinder where the key has to be just right to turn it out of the lock position. I'm wondering if there's an easy fix or if I'm looking at replacing the lock cylinder.

I have some bad guage cluster bulbs but already have the replacements from O'Reillys just waiting for the time to put them in. Besides the few minor issues I'm loving this vehicle so far.