Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Tranny Went Out At 44K

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2006, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Went Out At 44K

First off I want to say hello to you guys. My 1st post. I have an 04 Express 2500 with a 5.3 and a 4l60-e trans. The other day the engine started to rev under acceleration, then it would just not pull anymore. Towed the vehicle to my local dealer. The dealer pulled my tranny and tore it down. They said my main pump and other items went out. I asked them if they are going to give me some assistance with it being out of warranty. They said they are waiting for GM to do a cost analysis whether they will replace or rebuild. They did not ask me for tear down time. So I am hoping that means they are going to cover this. Has anybody else here experienced GM's decision making? Clearly this is premature failure. I dont have my manual with me so I dont remember what the maint schedule is that Gm reccomends. I did service the tranny at 30k miles.
Old December 28th, 2007, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tranny Went Out At 44K

This is a common problem with the L60E transmisson. It's not the pump! The valve bodies have a manfacturing defect and the valve body can be repaired by a person with the correct skills. I just did this repair on a L60E transmission and the machine work and parts cost 150.00 . prior to learning this information I like you thought I was in for a new transmission. I did my own work removal and replacement of the valve body, new filter and fluid. you don't have to remove the transmission from the truck to do the repair just remove the pan.