Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Transmission Vent Tube?

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2020, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission Vent Tube?

I've got an open ended rubber tube hanging off the back of the transmission near the driveshaft. I took off the doghouse and I think what I'm seeing is the other end of it with a breather cap. I can't seem to get the hose loose between the body and the transmission housing. Does anyone have an actual photo of how this tube is supposed to be oriented and where it is supposed to be plugged in? I've seen the cartoon drawing and it's no help.

Vent tube near intake hanging loose

What is this port on the intake manifold?
Old October 19th, 2020, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

The tube runs to a fitting on top of the transmission case, about centered front to back - it’s just a vent. If you’re seeing transmission seal leaks, make sure it’s clear by either replacing it or by removing it from the fitting, removing the breather cap, and blowing compressed air through it.

The fitting in the intake manifold is where the hose for a vacuum brake booster would hook up. Since your van has hydro boost it was plugged at the factory.
Old October 20th, 2020, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a look today from another angle, although I didn't snap any photos. There is a short section of hose attached to the transmission with a tee. One length goes up to that breather cap near the engine. Mine's loose, although I presume it's supposed to be attached. The other end of the hose runs across and hangs loose left of the driveshaft.
Old October 21st, 2020, 1:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by TXLeadfoot
I had a look today from another angle, although I didn't snap any photos. There is a short section of hose attached to the transmission with a tee. One length goes up to that breather cap near the engine. Mine's loose, although I presume it's supposed to be attached. The other end of the hose runs across and hangs loose left of the driveshaft.
Is your van all wheel drive?

I’ve never seen one of these express vans that’s AWD, but if it is, the tube hanging off the back could be for the transfer case vent. On the trucks, the trans vent runs to the back of the trans and hangs just like you described (although it’s supposed to be secured by a clip) and the transfer case vent runs up to the location in your photo. Maybe on the vans they tee’d them together?

If not AWD, maybe this is something a PO did for some reason.