Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Use sealant on new water pump?

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2020, 1:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Use sealant on new water pump?

I’m preparing to change my water pump. In the past - when working on 80’s/90’s cars, I always clean the mating surfaces then apply a thin coat of Permatex RightStuff to both mating surfaces and both sides of the gasket. Is this still a good practice? Will it hurt anything?
Old October 3rd, 2020, 1:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 566 Posts

The service manual specifically states:

- do NOT use sealing compounds as they can dislodge and ruin your engine.
- Just use a NEW, proper gasket.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 2:47 PM
DWB
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VanKo
I’m preparing to change my water pump. In the past - when working on 80’s/90’s cars, I always clean the mating surfaces then apply a thin coat of Permatex RightStuff to both mating surfaces and both sides of the gasket. Is this still a good practice? Will it hurt anything?
I just replaced my water pump on my 2006- 2500 and the paper gasket got all kapakai and after I put it all back together and started it the thing was still leaking so I look and the gasket was a mess!! I went to auto store and got new ones and they were made of metal with rubber around the port edges. I gor it all back together and all is good. I did use the gasket goo on both sides of the gasket. Just a small amount.
Old October 4th, 2020, 7:36 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
The service manual specifically states:

- do NOT use sealing compounds as they can dislodge and ruin your engine.
- Just use a NEW, proper gasket.
Gotcha, thank you.
Old October 4th, 2020, 11:36 AM
DWB
CF Junior Member

Gotcha, thank you.
The the manual for what year motor are you talking about a 2006 4.8 . Water pump I took off only had a silicone out of a tube gasket on it. If silicone ruins a motor 😳
Old October 4th, 2020, 11:44 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by DWB
The the manual for what year motor are you talking about a 2006 4.8 . Water pump I took off only had a silicone out of a tube gasket on it. If silicone ruins a motor 😳
I have a 2013 6.0l. I always used a very thin coating of liquid gasket (Permatex RightStuff) on water pump mating surfaces and gaskets in the past but these were much older cars (80’s). I never used enough that any of it could dislodge as it was only a thin coat. If I’m not supposed to use it I won’t, I was just double checking.
Old October 4th, 2020, 11:47 AM
DWB
CF Junior Member

I have a 2013 6.0l. I always used a very thin coating of liquid gasket (Permatex RightStuff) on water pump mating surfaces and gaskets in the past but these were much older cars (80’s). I never used enough that any of it could dislodge as it was only a thin coat. If I’m not supposed to use it I won’t, I was just double checking.
Well well I guess the product that's made for that now destroys the motor 🤔 motors just aren't what they used to be I tell you what ⚰️
Old October 4th, 2020, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

2005 service manual.

Procedures evolve as we find better ways of doing things. Do you still change your oil every 3,000 mi?

Differential covers now use reusable rubber gaskets instead of silicone, which I'm thrilled about, because removing the old stuff was such a pain in the dick and it always seeped anyway.
Old October 4th, 2020, 12:43 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
2005 service manual.

Procedures evolve as we find better ways of doing things. Do you still change your oil every 3,000 mi?

Differential covers now use reusable rubber gaskets instead of silicone, which I'm thrilled about, because removing the old stuff was such a pain in the dick and it always seeped anyway.
I love the product improvements, a lot of things are getting better. I’m happy to not spend 45 minutes scraping off old gasket with a razor blade.
Old October 4th, 2020, 1:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DWB
motors just aren't what they used to be I tell you what ⚰️
No they aren't. Manufacturing techniques have improved to allow tighter tolerances and greater efficiencies. Older cars required much more maintenance, so good riddance.

We learn from past mistakes, and it can take time to find sources of problems we used to have. So maybe bits of silicone floating around your engine was harming your old car, but you just didn't realize it until now.

Quick Reply: Use sealant on new water pump?