Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Van Registration Question

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2012, 11:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Van Registration Question

I'm looking for the NY State definition of a Conversion Van. I have a 2001 GMC 2500 Savana van. Basically a Chevy Express van. It's been modified with a rear seat fitting and it has 4 side windows so it qualifies for passenger plates. It also has a camp stove permanently installed.
According to NY DMV, all ,"Van" registrations need to be in the Commercial catagory. I currently have a SUBN classification which the dealer put down when they registered the van.
I need to find some paperwork that confirms that these modifications qualifies for the SUBN classification.
Thanks.
Ron
Old May 30th, 2012, 7:41 PM
CF Veteran

if it has seats and windows in the body you can get a PAS registration. If it has no windows nor seats then you have to get a COM registration.
Old May 31st, 2012, 4:00 PM
CF Active Member

There isn't a question of Pas or Com, it's the Body/Hull classification I'm looking for in the Pas category. I've already got 2 tickets dismissed for that theoretical infraction.
I have a current "SUBN" Body type, for which I received a ticket. According to the Cop, it's the incorrect Body/hull type. According to him, it should be a, "Van" Body/hull classification. When I go to DMV, the supervisor says, Every "Van" body/hull type is a Com vehicle. They have no Pas registrations for a "Van" Body/hull.
I can qualify for the SUBN under the Camper category, I was just trying to find the NY DMV definition of a Conversion Van.
The DMV website is not user friendly.
The most informative paperwork I found was in MV 461, which is a dealer classification and registration manual of 101 pages. It lists 13 vehicles under the SUBN classification, but I can only find a definition of one of them(Camper).
I'll beat both tickets, I'm just trying to find the simplest route.
Ron
Old May 31st, 2012, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me glad that WA State has trucks, and cars!
Old June 1st, 2012, 7:12 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by PapaNix 07 Xpress
Makes me glad that WA State has trucks, and cars!
I have no idea what this means.
Ron
Old June 1st, 2012, 9:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ron6519
There isn't a question of Pas or Com, it's the Body/Hull classification I'm looking for in the Pas category. I've already got 2 tickets dismissed for that theoretical infraction.
I have a current "SUBN" Body type, for which I received a ticket. According to the Cop, it's the incorrect Body/hull type. According to him, it should be a, "Van" Body/hull classification. When I go to DMV, the supervisor says, Every "Van" body/hull type is a Com vehicle. They have no Pas registrations for a "Van" Body/hull.
I can qualify for the SUBN under the Camper category, I was just trying to find the NY DMV definition of a Conversion Van.
The DMV website is not user friendly.
The most informative paperwork I found was in MV 461, which is a dealer classification and registration manual of 101 pages. It lists 13 vehicles under the SUBN classification, but I can only find a definition of one of them(Camper).
I'll beat both tickets, I'm just trying to find the simplest route.
Ron

I have PAS registration on my G20, but was ordered as a 12 seat van and according to the GM Shop Manual they consider it a bus. But even still I transferred registration from the car I had previously which was a 9 passenger Mercury Colony Park station wagon with passenger plates. That car was considered a SUBN. Additionally I have PAS registration on my Suburban. Even though that body style as a station wagon is SUBN too.

My uncle's friend has a 1999 Express Conversion Van with PAS plates also.

In NYC, there are many cargo vans with passenger registration on them. They have a body shop cut a opera window in the body and install one bench seat in it to qualify. The bench seat is removable but the window isnt. I was under the impression that solid body and cutaways, boxes, and cube vans had to have a commercial registrations. But I dont know, I dont see any U-Hauls with commercial plates.

I think the cop is a dummy, besides most of these classifications are based on Gross Vehicle Weight not body style. Good luck to you in court, man.

Last edited by RacerX; June 1st, 2012 at 9:36 AM.
Old June 5th, 2012, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ron6519
I have no idea what this means.
Ron
only 2 reg types in WA State:
It's a car
or it's a truck

There are some other types for specialty rigs, but average licensee only deals with 2 types of reg in this state.

Thats all...
Old June 6th, 2012, 6:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PapaNix 07 Xpress
only 2 reg types in WA State:
It's a car
or it's a truck

There are some other types for specialty rigs, but average licensee only deals with 2 types of reg in this state.

Thats all...
It is the same thing in NY State. It is either a passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle. His problem is his vehicle is a conversion van which should classify as a passenger vehicle but the cops keep writing him a ticket for having the wrong plates saying that his vehicle should be registered as a commercial vehicle. The person at the DMV says all Vans are commercial vehicles, which is ludicrous because I have a 12 passenger G20 with passenger plates on it and a 9 passenger Suburban with passenger plates. And every church around here with a van also has passenger plates.
Old June 7th, 2012, 7:13 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by RacerX
The person at the DMV says all Vans are commercial vehicles, which is ludicrous because I have a 12 passenger G20 with passenger plates on it and a 9 passenger Suburban with passenger plates. And every church around here with a van also has passenger plates.
What the DMV said was that all vehicles with a "Van" body/hull type would need to be registered as a Commercial vehicle.
I don't know if this is correct or not. This was one supervisor in one location.
The DMV website is no help as it is not comprehensive in it's information.
Ron
Old June 10th, 2012, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

just my 2 cents but from what i heard once windows and seats are added to a van its considered a wagon. and that's why you can get PAS registartion

Quick Reply: Van Registration Question