Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Vinyl Wrap as opposed to Paint

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2019, 11:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Vinyl Wrap as opposed to Paint

I will try to keep this post simple. I am wondering about your experiences and opinions with vinyl wrap. When I found my first dis-likings with my paint three plus years ago, I just thought to myself I will repaint the truck, then I thought to myself I will just have it wrapped. Maybe instead of paint I should be wrapping it?

Of course that would have been smart when it was brand new. Then there would be no chips to rust, no scratches, the paint underneath would remain perfect. I am forecasting problems with the Insurance Company because they stole my free claim and I going to pop if they want to change my rates if I make this claim. Probably not as it's not an actual accident that I would be at fault for but still... I just expect some bull**** from them. $3000 year I pay and I just feel that they screw me somehow. If it's not them, it'll be the body shop putting a kid on it and over-spraying stuff, or just something.

A vehicle is never the same once you start fixing damage. Not unless you spend coin. They will not repaint the whole thing, they'll do at best the rear and the left side. They'll probably make remarks about the existing damage which literally is from the cops not doing their. It just all goes full circle and I want to lose it. I wouldn't even have gone out of town.. if people just did what was right in the first place (years ago). I live in a chain reaction. Everything.. continually affected because of past events handled wrong.

You can tell me otherwise and I will just tell you where to go.

Anyways the point is Vinyl Wrap. Would anyone want this over paint? Seems more durable. I am not sure about the sheen though.

https://vvividshop.ca/products/gloss-black
Old July 24th, 2019, 12:56 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The company I work for (think worldwide) uses vinyl wrap for their delivery trailers IF it's for customer specific deliveries. Short term looks. Personal experience, lettering peels and flakes after a couple years sun exposure. Otherwise the company repaints over damage every time.
Old July 24th, 2019, 1:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

anything that can hide potential problems sounds like a bad idea to me.
Old July 24th, 2019, 10:26 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Most of the corporate graphics you see cars and trucks covered in these days are vinyl wrap. I never see it peeling. From glancing over the page I posted, I do read that it scratches easily and I assume, therefore, that it loses it's sheen. It's probably not really any different than leaving that transparent film over your LCD glass. It protects the finished surface from regular wear and tear. It is suppose to be easy to apply and it is an option over re-painting. You can change your vehicle colour yourself.

If I can get myself to actually phone in and do the paperwork I am going to file a claim and get repainted. I have dings from the rocks and exposed metal so.. I am trying to make a positive out of this, but what a jackass.