Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Where is the electronic spark control module located on a 1991 G20 5.7 van

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2018, 11:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, they call it the "knock" or "anti-knock" sensor. I just figured that I would replace the module too as long as I had the doghouse off but like I said I guess I'll have to settle for only replacing the sensor, thanks anyhow. Phil
Old December 10th, 2018, 10:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a summary of the problem and the solution: The "service engine" light was coming on under hard acceleration or uphill situation but when I would turn the engine off and back on the light would not re-appear and I was not able to get a code number from the computer. After looking at the Haynes repair manual I suspected the "knock sensor" and I removed the "dog house" to investigate. I drove the van a few miles with the dog house off and could hear a slight knocking that I had not heard before removing the doghouse. The Haynes manual stated that the knock sensor was on the drivers side of the engine but it is actually on the passenger side just ahead of the starter motor. I replaced the sensor but was never able to find and replace the "electronic spark control (anti-knock) module". I've driven the van about 300 miles now and the "service engine" light has not come on again under hard acceleration or uphill situations so I'm declaring "problem solved". Thanks for all the help folks! Phil
Old December 11th, 2018, 9:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the update, Phil.