Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

02 chevy express 1500 cylinder head gasket install

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2018, 10:05 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK got it however this is just a list or a order of procedure type thing. I can't click on any of autozones instructions.

I hope to get the manie off today will report back
Thanks
Old February 15th, 2018, 10:37 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the Brain
OK got it however this is just a list or a order of procedure type thing. I can't click on any of autozones instructions.

I hope to get the manie off today will report back
Thanks
When you login, did you enter your vehicle info in the My Vehicles section at the top of the page? Hover your cursor over Repair Help, click on Vehicle Repair Guides. When you get to the next page click on Engine Mechanical (in red letters). When it goes to the next page, on the left side click on Engine Mechanical Components. When you get to that page on the left side scroll down to Intake Manifold and click on it. That will take you to the Removal & Installation guides, scroll down and you'll see your 5.7 motor. It will show the same thing as I posted in #25 of this thread.

When I entered your vehicle I used 2500, I didn't see your van is 1500.

Last edited by Twscarp; February 15th, 2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old February 15th, 2018, 1:39 PM
CF Active Member

yes I entered the 02 chevy. they think there isn't or they didn't include the 1/2 ton 1500 express yes I entered the the 2500.

first engine was the 4.3 V6 then the 5.3 6.0 then found the 5.7. I'll check it later.

manie is off the only real PITA was pulling prying the AC compressor braket enoungh to acess the last manie bolt thanks alot GM.

anyway it's off what a mess inside there w/ the GM DEXmud thanks again GM can't believe the engine was actualley ruuning w/ parts of gasket pouring down into head.

I've got to get a pry tool to slide and space the AC braket back so after cleanup I can drop manie back on. I was forced to pry w/ a cressent against the mannie while trying to remove last bolt so I'll have to space it out the problem is the bolts aren't long enough to slide back the mannie w/out taking the AC bracket off.

I recieved the Apex gasket from RA they made them sound premium however they appear economy.

will clean block/manie and reassemble. I need a decent torque wrench.

this is a time consumming job I understand the high cost of this manie gasket repair upwards of $1K.

Now I know why my friend the mechanic told me he didn't know exactly whats wrong.

please suggest clean up I was planning the razor blade then some brake clean or degreaser.
I have a roloc wheel have my driveway doesn't have a air compressor.

will the cordless drill spin the roloc wheel fast enoungh to clean mating surfaces?

edit: I haven't looked that close but didn't observe the DEX mud leaking outside the manie.

TB
Attached Thumbnails 02 chevy express 1500 cylinder head gasket install-intake-removed1.jpg   02 chevy express 1500 cylinder head gasket install-intake-removed2.jpg   02 chevy express 1500 cylinder head gasket install-intake-removed3.jpg   02 chevy express 1500 cylinder head gasket install-intake-removed4.jpg  

Last edited by the Brain; February 15th, 2018 at 2:00 PM.
Old February 15th, 2018, 5:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

Nice work. Looks like you found your problem! That intake looks awful doesn't it. I think this is what happens when Dexcool is left in there too long. Better to change it when they say (4 yrs I think).
Don't go too crazy with the cleaning the surface, so you don't damage the soft aluminum. Try to use a plastic scraper and plenty of solvents. It doesn't have to be gleaming and perfect, just smooth. Did you see any pitting after you cleaned the mannie?

Big thanks for the photos. Don't get your carpets too dirty
Old February 15th, 2018, 8:19 PM
CF Active Member

the mannie is covered in oil so I haven't thoroughly inspected for pitting or cracks.

will need some decent degreaser what do you suggest.
TB
Old February 15th, 2018, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd suggest a carburetor cleaner as a degreaser.
Old February 16th, 2018, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

Carb cleaner leaves a thin film. Brake cleaner leaves it bone dry.
Old February 16th, 2018, 6:03 AM
CF Active Member

dexcool is destructive to rubber I add waterpump to spare parts

what other rubber is in contact w/ dexcool? the coolant tubes seam fine, I also keep tubes as spares.
Old February 16th, 2018, 8:13 AM
CF Active Member

my friend the expert mechcanic called this morning burst my bubble told me if coolant is in oil then the head/heads are blown gasket.

so now I'm inbetween crate engine from Summit $2K or rebuild 350 into 383 stroker my friend will assemble the bored 383.

just dont want to put $ into the 201K miles on clock
Old February 16th, 2018, 8:04 PM
Super Moderator

And is there coolant in the oil? How much?