Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

05 Express 3500 31 gallon fuel tank, self vented? No vent line to engine?

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2023, 6:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 05 Express 3500 31 gallon fuel tank, self vented? No vent line to engine?

Hi,

I purchased an 05 Express 3500 van with the 6.0 and 4l80E, but the engine and transmission had been removed (Bought it from a junkyard.)

The fuel tank was left behind, and whomever removed the engine also cut the fuel lines at the flex point.

I found an 03 1500 and took the fuel lines from it, however the fuel lines, though the tank was the same capacity, the fuel pump housing was very different and on the 03, there is a fuel send, a fuel return, and a vent/purge line that goes to the engine.

However, upon inspecting my 05 fuel tank, there are only TWO lines coming from the tank, one from the fuel pump, and the other going into what looks like a charcoal canister... So, a fuel supply line, and a breather vent? The connection seems to be a fuel return line, but I do not think the return line should go into the charcoal canister (???) The fuel tank on the 05 looks quite a bit more complicated, too, with about 50% more hoses and tubes on top, plus what looks like a vacuum/pressure sensor on the fuel pump cover, which leads me to believe it is self-vented (or not?)

I would grab the fuel tank off f the 03 as it is the same shape, (I did damage the fuel pump but I plan on getting a new one while it's down anyway) however, I cut a large strip of plastic from it to weld the hole they punch in the 05 tank, so there is a massive hole in it now.

The other issue is, the 6.0 engine I pulled is from an 01 pickup truck, and it has the three fuel/vent lines, same as the 03 Express van. So, if the 05 fuel tank only has two lines, would I block off the vent solenoid in the intake manifold as it is no longer needed, because it is handled in the fuel tank assembly?

And, does the fuel return line, go to the rectangular type box on the side of the tank? Or, is there no fuel return line (I think there has to be, as it is the same type of connection as the fuel return of the 03 Express van, same type of pinch connector and everything.

I am struggling to find a fuel diagram for the 05 to see what is what.
Old April 21st, 2023, 6:48 PM
Banned

I did some more digging on the bigger internet (laptop as opposed to phone) and I found this https://www.linestogo.com/express-se...fl499-f1c-set/

Apparently, one line is a supply, and the other, is indeed a vent.

So, I did some digging as to the whereabouts of the fuel pressure regulator: apparently it is within the fuel pump housing itself.

My question has changed to: Do I disconnect the vacuum at the fuel pressure regulator on the engine, and block-off the fuel return on it, so I only use the vent line and fuel supply line? Would that work, here? Unless I can find the exact engine and get the fuel lines from it, that's likely what I am going to attempt to do. I would also say, I do not have emissions testing where I live, so emissions is not a big deal, only getting the engine running well.
Old April 23rd, 2023, 12:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Doubtful. Should be venting to the Carbon Canister, then to the motor
Old April 23rd, 2023, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Doubtful. Should be venting to the Carbon Canister, then to the motor
Right! I discovered this. The fuel pressure regulator and return line are inside of the tank
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (April 25th, 2023)