Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

suburban fill up problem

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2009, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suburban fill up problem

2005 suburban. when filling up the pump kicks off like its full(its not). I have checked the filler line all the way to the tank. No kinks or any other reason for this.
Is there some type of vent line that could cause this? IF so where is it?
the line that runs next to the filler line is free and clear as well.

Recently a new fuel pump was installed. Im guessing it has something to do with it...
Thanks in advance..

Last edited by ldr161; November 18th, 2009 at 1:09 PM.
Old November 19th, 2009, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

There is an EVAP vent line that has to be open. This line goes from the fuel tank to the charcoal canister and then out to the Evap solenoid.There is a filter at the solenoid or on a line connected to it.This filter could be plugged with mud if you do a lot of off rode driving.As you said the fuel pump was just replaced so it is possible that the hose may have got kinked or crushed on top of the fuel tank. The charcoal cannister is located under the vehicle near the fuel tank.Is your engine light on?
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Could also be it's a non-problem. The new gas nozzles with automatic shut-offs are very sensitive, and many times you can't fill your tank with them on the highest setting.
Old November 21st, 2009, 1:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Is this a "new to you" rig? I would try a different gas station or two to see if it still does it. I can't my 'Burban at the safeway here in town because of this same problem. I drive ten miles out of my way just to avoid the frustration. The plus is I get about 40 more miles out of a tank. Damn near makes the price difference a wash.
Old December 8th, 2009, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Danhoc53
There is an EVAP vent line that has to be open. This line goes from the fuel tank to the charcoal canister and then out to the Evap solenoid.There is a filter at the solenoid or on a line connected to it.This filter could be plugged with mud if you do a lot of off rode driving.As you said the fuel pump was just replaced so it is possible that the hose may have got kinked or crushed on top of the fuel tank. The charcoal cannister is located under the vehicle near the fuel tank.Is your engine light on?
The engine light is on. I will get under there and check.. Thanks for the help.....
Old December 9th, 2009, 5:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ldr161
The engine light is on. I will get under there and check.. Thanks for the help.....
"The engine light is on."???????????????

Ooh, that would have been helpful to know when you made your OP...
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:32 PM
CF Junior Member

check that the charcoil canister is not plugged up check all lines to make sure that there not plugged up check that the evap solenoid is not plugged check that theres +5 volts going to it if there isnt +5 volts check fuses and make sure that the fuse for it that the leg didnt push the wire out of the bottom of fuse box chevy has a problem with this
Old March 2nd, 2010, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Does this vehicle still have a problem??
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by f-bodyfreak
check that the charcoil canister is not plugged up check all lines to make sure that there not plugged up check that the evap solenoid is not plugged check that theres +5 volts going to it if there isnt +5 volts check fuses and make sure that the fuse for it that the leg didnt push the wire out of the bottom of fuse box chevy has a problem with this
I will check.. thanks for the advice..
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

yes. I have been waiting for a friend of mine to finish his project so i can borrow his lift.