Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

'07 G3500 Ext Pass Van - Need Trailer Lights

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2010, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '07 G3500 Ext Pass Van - Need Trailer Lights

Want to install 7-pin trailer connector. My van does not have tow package. Need help with wiring. Are there any wires already run to the rear that I can use? Wiring Diagram? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Tallguy:

I am in the same boat, same rig.

Have you had any luck with this?

Thanks
Old September 8th, 2010, 3:01 AM
CF Beginner

Without the trailering option, there are no wires run to the rear of the vehicle from the factory.

Curt sells a "T connector" kit, that will tap into the brake/turn light connectors in the rear of the vehicle, behind the trim panels. A very straightforward install. You'll need to splice into the reverse light wire (typically light blue) on that same connector, if you need the reverse lights for your 7-pin connector. The Curt kit will provide the 4-pin flat connector, but you'll need to add the reverse, brake controller output, and Aux +12v supply to complete the 7-pin install. Run wires along the frame and into the engine compartment for the +12v and brake controller output signal. Run 12-gauge wire for the +12v, terminating with a 40A circuit breaker or fuse at a +ve post on the fusebox (driver's side). You'll need to drill a small hole in the firewall, for access to the brake controller's output, which is typically installed under-dash. The brake controller needs power, ground, stop-lamp switch input, and output a brake signal for the 7-pin. Splice the brake controller output with the second wire that you've run from the rear of the vehicle through the engine compartment and through the hole in the firewall.

Back at the rear of the vehicle, get a Hopkins 4-pin to 7-pin adapter. It will accept the 4-pin flat connector from the Curt T-connector kit, and will have the remaining wires on the back-side, to splice with the reverse, +12v, and brake controller output wires.

This is very simple, straightforward wiring, but it will take several hours to do the install.

For extra credit and better results, put a Hopkins tail-light converter between the output of the Curt T-connector kit and the 7-pin socket. This will electrically isolate the trailer lights from the van, and allow you to power more lights on the trailer. The converter will require its own +12v supply, so run a third wire to the front of the van, with a separate 20A breaker/fuse to one of the fusebox +ve posts.

-Bruce
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tonawonda....name?

I take it that you have a chevy 454 Tonawonda, made in Canada, I have 2 G30's with a 454 Tonawonda motors. These old RAT motors are the exception to the MPG. Most 454's get about 8-11 MPG but the Tonawonda get 11-14 MPG. What is the difference are they ported & polished at factory, piston design or just a Quality Canadian product ?
'92 G30 454 EXT VIN 2GAGG39NON411XXXX
'92 G30 454 4X4 EXT VIN 2GAGG39N4P411XXXX
One for the street and one for the dirt
Attached Thumbnails '07 G3500 Ext Pass Van - Need Trailer Lights-lady-beast-1-.jpg   '07 G3500 Ext Pass Van - Need Trailer Lights-lady-beast-2-.jpg   '07 G3500 Ext Pass Van - Need Trailer Lights-lady-beast-3-.jpg  

Last edited by frscke1; September 27th, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

I wish a 454 G30 like yours was parked in my driveway. My Dad was a GM autoworker, and I had a "Tonawanda - the #1 team" sticker pasted to the headboard of my crib as a baby. The Tonawanda plant, in Buffalo NY, was famous for the engines it produced.

Growing up, our family vehicle was a 1968 Sportvan, and I currently have a 1967 that needs a little work. We just picked up a very lightly used 2010 Express 3500 passenger van, so I guess it's all coming full circle.

Cheers,
-Bruce
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wish list

I wish you had one of these G30's, that would tell me where the other 2 are. They only made 3 of my (red one) '93 and 18 of (white one) '92. Ive been looking and mailing everybody on the web & forums looking for other. this VIN chart http://www.compnine.com/vid.php? can tell the rarety of what i have. It took 7 yrs for one to pop up during "cash for clunkers", found it on a friday sent a cashier check and secured it sat morn "sight unseen" (except for pic's) flew to Iowa and drove it back to san diego, this happened in feb '10. Know where there is another?
Attached Thumbnails '07 G3500 Ext Pass Van - Need Trailer Lights-4758-1-.jpg   '07 G3500 Ext Pass Van - Need Trailer Lights-beast.jpg  

Last edited by frscke1; September 28th, 2010 at 12:17 PM.