Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

09 charging nightmare, half the tuck is dead :(

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2023, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 09 charging nightmare, half the tuck is dead :(

Hey everybody, nice to meet you all, van owner for 4 years and I'll never look back lol

I know the golden rule is to search search search first but I'm fearing the worst (dead module) and I'm not have ANY luck searching so any hotlinks you be GREATLY appreciated. I have an 09 Express 2500 4.great 2wd and I've hit a sang I've never even been close to encountering before, and I've worked on PLENTY of junk cars lol 😮‍💨 I hopped in and started the van... dead... boosted it... fired right up... express power 🤌🏻... the amp want up and down bing bing bing bump... check battery charging center... battery froze stiff as aboard 😮‍💨. Van displays NO charge even with a good battery, boost on it, battery pack on it, the guage is dead BUT when you unplug the 2 pin and plug it back in it instantly loads the alternator so it IS charging and the van WILL run with no battery installed.... what is weirder, is my brake lights are on when the key is on, there is now blower fan, and no turn signals, the dome light also disobeys the fact I have the dome off button pressed in... I'm currently waist deep in the process of diag.... so far the interior maxi panel under the seat has power and all the fuses are good and now I'm working my way thru testing the crust ol under hood maxi box.... they don't have amp guages so the guage being broken won't cut out my current.... dooooo you think I got lucky and just blew a bunch of fuses orrrr am I toast in your opinion 🫥. BCM, canbus/radio communication issue, fuse box board? I don't think it's ECM, she runs and drives fine... Let me know your opinion boys and girls... I'm open to LITTERALLY any suggestions. Have a great day 🫡

Last edited by catmando69; February 14th, 2023 at 1:30 PM.
Old February 14th, 2023, 1:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by catmando69
van WILL run with no battery installed
Never do this.

I would start with checking all fuses, fusible links, relays, and ignition switch.

gmupfitter.com has some very helpful electrical resources.
Old February 14th, 2023, 2:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes, and you're a supermod... I literally stated I was done the interior fuse box and I was starting the underhood now. And if the single large red wire that hooks the alt to vehicle was severed by a link, how would it run without a battery. I guess stating it runs without a battery wasn't clear enough. Anywho you can delete me post or my account or whatever now, it ended up being a rotted out fuse in BCM 1 slot. She's all go now. Thanks for the advice tho. Cheers. I enjoyed my first and last post here.
The following users liked this post:
MitchM (February 15th, 2023)
Old February 14th, 2023, 2:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Bye

Old February 14th, 2023, 6:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

And if the single large red wire that hooks the alt to vehicle was severed by a link, how would it run without a battery. I guess stating it runs without a battery wasn't clear enough.
no it wasn't clear. Running without a battery and running without the the charge cable are 2 things entirely different . He responded to what you actually wrote not what you think you described.

Clear out all old dtc...start the vehicle and see what resets. diagnose based on what resets. Good luck and farewell. lol.

Last edited by tech2; February 15th, 2023 at 8:52 AM.
Old February 27th, 2023, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm open to LITTERALLY any suggestions.
Apparently not....
The following users liked this post:
tech2 (February 27th, 2023)