Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

11 G3500 Side entry doors

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2021, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11 G3500 Side entry doors

So I’m a tech at a small mom and pop, and a 2011 G3500 express van came in. For some reason, the side entry doors won’t stay closed/locked. Any tips?
Old January 4th, 2021, 7:07 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The power door locks won't work unless the doors are closed. I don't know what year they started doing it but there are also two positions that the side doors can open. If you open them fairly far, close them a bit, and adjust the door check you can get them to open quite a bit further. Be careful of this because the passenger door can hit and seriously damage the front side door.
Old January 5th, 2021, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to keep asking questions, but any idea how to activate the locks?
Old January 5th, 2021, 8:15 PM
CF Active Member

The side door has electrical contacts on the pillar to joint the door to the van's wiring harness. You could probably diagnose the van and the door by checking for voltage at that location when you operate the locks. I imagine the Body Control Module is responsible for controlling the operation of the locks. The garage you work at should buy a subscription to online literature and wiring diagrams.
Old January 7th, 2021, 4:23 PM
CF Active Member

I was at my van today where it is stored for the winter and confirmed that the BCM is involved somehow. I have a 2004 and if you have the key in the ignition with the van running you cannot use the power locks to lock the door when the driver's door is open. The locks immediately unlock after you take your hand off the lock button to prevent you from locking yourself out.
Old January 10th, 2021, 6:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Do they actually latch and are getting a signal to release?

One problem is the latch assembly itself is plastic junk and in time they break. 10 years is about old enough, that's when they started to turn up in the junkyards here and I lost count how many I noticed had side doors that were bolted shut, held shut with a bungee cord, etc. I just looked at a couple up for auction, 05 and 07; the slider on the 05 won't open and the swing doors on the 07 are corded shut.

The solution is a new latch (or handle, if that broke). They're not cheap, which is why I saw so many jury-rigged closed.