Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

+12V ignition hot? Equivalent of the plug-in accessory harness that the trucks have?

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2023, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +12V ignition hot? Equivalent of the plug-in accessory harness that the trucks have?

Hello everyone!

We are working on our "new to us" '06 Savana 3500 6.0 15-passenger van, and we'd like to be able to add a few accessories. GM full-size trucks from this same time-frame have an accessory harness you can simply plug in, to wire up whatever add-ons your heart desires. I've searched and searched, but can't find anything similar for the van. Was this a truck-only thing?

Assuming that the solution isn't that easy, what choices do I have for a 12 volt ignition-hot (doesn't stay on with the van off) line? I'm fine with either RAP, turning off 20 minutes after you turn off the van, or plain old ignition-hot, turning off immediately when I turn the van off. Would strongly prefer not to splice into wires, I've had enough old cars with wiring hacked up for stereos, alarms, etc that I try to keep my wiring as clean as I can. We are able to make a proper tap, i.e., a wire meant to go between a male and female connector, having a matching connector for each end but splitting into two wires to provide the connection I need... but where to put it? I'd like it to support at least 10 amps of current. Historically we would have used the cigarette lighters, but on the van, the lighter is always hot - I have to unplug my phone charger when I park, or it will stay on indefinitely.

The GM Upfitter site seems to suggest in its wiring diagrams that there are plugs I can plug into with a harness I'd need to make myself - but does a van not intended for an upfitter have the same wiring harness as one that is?

It's an LS, so power windows and power locks, but no (i.e.) rear defroster. Speaking of which - any way I could tap into that circuit? I'm assuming GM made the defroster only run with the power on.

Thanks in advance!
Old June 16th, 2023, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

run your own fused circuit and switch it with a relay energized by a RAP accessory. HVAC for instance.