Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1973 G10 won't start

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2023, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face 1973 G10 won't start

Hi my 1973 G10 Van with a 250 and 3 on the tree was running great and always started easily, though I always had to kick the accelerator a lot while starting. Then I came home one day and ran hard through my creek covering my dirt driveway and it got SOAKED and hit a bump pretty good too. Then it refused to start. After a week of drying it out, cleaning the distributor and finding a very rusty distributor cap (which I filed clean) buying a new cheapy charger (my good one died just now too!) I tried start it and no good. I must have hit the gas too many times because I heard a God-awful loud backfire. Today I went out and did not hit the accelerator and it fired right up. I ran it to warm and thought I'd also fill the radiator which was down 3 inches. The second the radiator was toped the engine kicked down and quit. Then again it refused to start. I had worried at first the timing chain might have slipped when I bumped over the creek but when it ran this morning it ran smooth.
Seems to be getting gas fine. I am starting to think maybe the starter solenoid got soaked?
I guess this is what I get for buying her 2 new front tires!

Last edited by newyorksong; January 19th, 2023 at 2:07 PM.