Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1991 G20 Van Fuse Locate Problem Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2011, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1991 G20 Van Fuse Locate Problem Please Help.

I had a dead battery which i replaced 2 months ago. I noticed that before the old battery had died the automatic lock doors would unlock themselves. I assumed this was a sign of the battery dying. Once I brought it to Kraigens to have the battery checked they just handed me a new one without trying to charge the old one. So after i Installed the new one I was running fine for about 2 month then I did not use the van for 4 days and had a dead battery again finding all the doors unlocked. I jumped the battery and it started up. And had the alternator tested just in case but it checked out fine. Since I'm paying attention now I'm noticing the doors unlock themselves once every few hours. This had been drawing my battery life and i would prefer to just disconnect automatic doors from the fuse box. Non of the fuses say there for the doors so I'm not sure which one to pull. or if there is another box I'm not finding. The one i did find does have window fuses and i tried them which of coarse did not stop the doors. If any one has any knowledge of the location of the fuse to pull I would really appreciate your help. I put a Link to a picture of the fuse box i have been using which is near the e-brake pedal. Thanks again

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14426329@N04/5352901461/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14426329@N04/5352900017/
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

Any Help is good help. Thanks guys
Old January 17th, 2011, 9:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your problem isnt the fuse, you have a bad relay. The relay has a closed contact in it continuously unlocking the door until the battery is dead. When the battery is fresh and charge, you have to turn the car off and listen...carefully. The clicking sound is the bad relay. It is either in the kick panel of the A-pillar on the passenger side or the driver side. Listen for the clicking and feel it with your finger and you can tell which one it is. Pull it out and you should be fine.

Or you can just open the door panels and disconnect the auto lock solenoid from the harness.

Last edited by RacerX; January 17th, 2011 at 9:13 PM.
Old January 18th, 2011, 12:52 AM
CF Beginner

You are right I can hear the clicking with the engine off. Even thought the doors don't unlock when i push the unlock button i can hear the relay clicking on the driver side. I'm not sure why it won't unlock when i manually hit the unlock button but it still unlocks its self when no one is present and continues till the battery is dead. I was able to located the fuse which was a 30a circuit breaker marked "PWR ACC" and pulled it out. It stoped the clicken once i pulled it. I know time will tell but should this solve my problem of a dead battery? Or do you think i'll still have to worry about it if i don't pull the bad relay. Thanks again for your reply
Old January 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your problem is the relay. The contacts are stuck shut. If removing the 30A CB kills it, then you are fine. Its just to hoping that the CB was the only power source for the door and not some other feature.
Old January 21st, 2011, 4:26 AM
CF Junior Member

get the fuse and relays changed to eradicate the issue permanently