Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1992 G30 Van 5.8L V8 overheating but not?

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2024, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Derrick. I hope you are right and it’s just a very, very hot running engine enhanced by summer heat.

I am not gonna be able to accept that without performing a test or something like you mention.

if the check engine hadn’t been coming on I might have still be thinking it’s just a jot runnin van, but it seemed to coincide exactly with the more extreme concerning ambient temps.

i wonder if there are fairly easy ways to offset this problem. Step one for me will be to research heat shields, etc. But I wonder if there’s a way to install side pipes or diversionary exhaustion meadures, whatever. Or maybe add some other fan idk it just is really that extreme and I’ve owned 12’s of older vehicles

thanks again !
Old August 8th, 2024, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks sir! I really appreciate this check list of followup steps. It seems a good chance am gonna need to learn do some of those fixes at some time in the future regardless so I’ll be looking into it. Right now I still need to perform the true test of 60mph on interstate. I drove it yesterday (after the them swap) way more than I would have needed to get the check engine light on (before the swap) and it didn’t so that gave me hope / confidence maybe I’m good, so we will see!

I really do appreciate the time input and thought 💪🏽👍
The following users liked this post:
jfmorris (August 8th, 2024)
Old August 8th, 2024, 2:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ablewaker
Thanks Derrick. I hope you are right and it’s just a very, very hot running engine enhanced by summer heat.

I am not gonna be able to accept that without performing a test or something like you mention.

if the check engine hadn’t been coming on I might have still be thinking it’s just a jot runnin van, but it seemed to coincide exactly with the more extreme concerning ambient temps.

i wonder if there are fairly easy ways to offset this problem. Step one for me will be to research heat shields, etc. But I wonder if there’s a way to install side pipes or diversionary exhaustion meadures, whatever. Or maybe add some other fan idk it just is really that extreme and I’ve owned 12’s of older vehicles

thanks again !
Is it hot inside the van with the doghouse in place?
Old August 8th, 2024, 2:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Harbor freight has this basic laser thermometer on sale for $11.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...ter-93984.html
Old August 9th, 2024, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Derrick71
Harbor freight has this basic laser thermometer on sale for $11.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...ter-93984.html
yes it’s getting very hot inside even with doghouse down. will take a temp reading asap, I’m also looking forward to resolutions weather added fans, lower temp thermostat (unless not advisable) or upgraded / additional heat shields. Meantime I found some other issues to keep going after/. Air intake hose is loose / not connected perfectly and some other loose stuff with the air filter housing, etc so once I button all that up I’ll check back in. Thanks so much!
Old August 9th, 2024, 8:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Does the doghouse have the insulation in place? The entire inside should have some kind of insulation covering it. There should also be insulation and padding on the floor at least in the front part of the van under the front seats. It's possible that that's been removed in the past. Without all that insulation in place you'll get a lot of heat transfer.

Last edited by Derrick71; August 9th, 2024 at 8:52 PM.
Old August 10th, 2024, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

Yes doghouse does have the insulation in place, etc. I think i have identified the problem: There is, just near where the intake goes forward from the air filter box/bowl, a pipe/flex pipe called by a few differnent names but most commonly hot air tube. I found it was sort of hidden from me as i wrapped up the thermostat job after testing it. TEST GOOD BTW!!! I ran her at 80mph which i wont be doing prob ever again. She normally cruises at 60mph, but i wanted to push her to confirm the overheating is done, and it is done.
Anyway- this tube connects to the bottom of the bowl, but then goes nowhere. I don't know if the other end connects to something or is meant to just point loose down to the road? I have seen only one other video online that doesnt' feature this tube but it is visible, and it seems to be connected to something under the manifold ? I don't know but would appreciate any advice where this tube is supposed to go ?
Thanks so much for giving me the confidence to do the thremostat! She really is runnin strong now

Old August 10th, 2024, 10:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by ablewaker
Yes doghouse does have the insulation in place, etc. I think i have identified the problem: There is, just near where the intake goes forward from the air filter box/bowl, a pipe/flex pipe called by a few differnent names but most commonly hot air tube. I found it was sort of hidden from me as i wrapped up the thermostat job after testing it. TEST GOOD BTW!!! I ran her at 80mph which i wont be doing prob ever again. She normally cruises at 60mph, but i wanted to push her to confirm the overheating is done, and it is done.
Anyway- this tube connects to the bottom of the bowl, but then goes nowhere. I don't know if the other end connects to something or is meant to just point loose down to the road? I have seen only one other video online that doesnt' feature this tube but it is visible, and it seems to be connected to something under the manifold ? I don't know but would appreciate any advice where this tube is supposed to go ?
Thanks so much for giving me the confidence to do the thremostat! She really is runnin strong now
Good to hear the overheating was something simple.

I'm not sure on that year van but that tube sounds like a crank case vent, PCV or it would go to some sort of secondary air pump for emissions. If it's entering the intake on the engine side of the air filter it needs to be plugged before running the engine any more so it doesn't suck dirt in. Either way it's emissions related so you should be able to find diagrams of the emissions system for that van. Fixing that may reduce heat slightly but I doubt it's your entire problem.

I would make sure the seal around the doghouse is in place and no air is passing into the cabin. Also the insulation, seals, grommets and boots on the firewall. Anywhere something passes through the firewall area should have a rubber grommet or boot sealing out hot air. If those have rotted or been removed during previous work you'll get hot air coming in. At that age I would expect the rubber to be failing or gone.

If you idle the van at temp (so the fan clutch kicks in) you might be able to feel for air blowing in. If you have something that puts off some smoke (incense, cigarette, candle wick etc...) you might be able to watch for air movement.

Also make sure the insulation under the carpet is in place. The floor gets hot from the engine and exhaust and will feel like a heater. The insulation may be breaking down or have been removed over time. They sell rolls of automotive insulation on Amazon that are pretty reasonable.
The following users liked this post:
ablewaker (August 10th, 2024)
Old August 10th, 2024, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner