Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1995 G30 - Starter Bad?

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2018, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
In my experience a few light taps is all it takes - not like your'e trying to knock the thing out of the car! I like to have a helper hold the key in the start position when I rap the starter. I drove a 68 El camino an entire semester of college using this starting method!
Sorry for the lateness of the reply all. Do you have to have someone hold the key in the start position for this to work? I tried by myself without that, and I used my cane LOL. I'm not able to get under the van currently to wack the starter.
Old November 25th, 2018, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 198 Posts

Yes, need to have someone hold key in start and a helper give the starter a whack for this to work. I have tried it w/o key in starter position and rarely works.

Last edited by Rednucleus; November 25th, 2018 at 3:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old November 25th, 2018, 1:43 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Poor Connections?

My truck is doing this all the time, everything is good but the one bolt going into the battery. I put a new battery in last winter at night, in a parking lot, with a friend... we also had to change the bolt, I think we stripped the new battery or the bolt that holds the connector in place on the battery, one of the two. Last night I had to open the hood and give it a wiggle before I could leave the pub. lol

Anyways, sometimes it "clicks" before starting, for the first time it did nothing at all last night. Everything on the truck is good but that one negative ground connection.
Old November 25th, 2018, 3:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 198 Posts

Start with a new negative cable or terminal end. No good ground = no go!!
Old April 23rd, 2019, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Ok guys sorry its taking me so long, but I'm disabled and bending down is difficult especially during the winter time.

Yes, need to have someone hold key in start and a helper give the starter a whack for this to work. I have tried it w/o key in starter position and rarely works.
We tried this today and it did not work. When the key was turned it just clicked once right as my sister turned it.

Originally Posted by dberladyn
Poor Connections?

My truck is doing this all the time, everything is good but the one bolt going into the battery. I put a new battery in last winter at night, in a parking lot, with a friend... we also had to change the bolt, I think we stripped the new battery or the bolt that holds the connector in place on the battery, one of the two. Last night I had to open the hood and give it a wiggle before I could leave the pub. lol

Anyways, sometimes it "clicks" before starting, for the first time it did nothing at all last night. Everything on the truck is good but that one negative ground connection.
I had trouble installing the battery and possibly I did not tighten the negative cable very well, I'll have to check that and see.

Start with a new negative cable or terminal end. No good ground = no go!!
May try this as well.

Does anyone else might know what this could be?
Old April 24th, 2019, 8:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a loose connection to me too.
Old April 24th, 2019, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

Ok thanks, I'll give this a check this weekend, we are going to be swamped with rain for the next day or so.
Old April 24th, 2019, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had to replace the contacts in a starter on our plymouth voyager. It would click as the solenoid would slide the contacts together, but there was a gap worn into them from age, and eventually arcing as it passed the current.
It was a cheap kit that included the new contacts, and replacement bolts to close up the solenoid after drilling the factory rivets out.
I don't know if the solenoid on a gm starter is serviceable in this way.
Old April 25th, 2019, 5:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I had to replace the contacts in a starter on our plymouth voyager. It would click as the solenoid would slide the contacts together, but there was a gap worn into them from age, and eventually arcing as it passed the current.
It was a cheap kit that included the new contacts, and replacement bolts to close up the solenoid after drilling the factory rivets out.
I don't know if the solenoid on a gm starter is serviceable in this way.
I think its all one part nowadays. So in order to do anything to the solenoid you have to buy the whole starter. I'm going to check the connections as suggested a few days & if that does not work I'll take the starter out & take it to AutoZone to have it tested.
Old April 25th, 2019, 1:01 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

for that year im sure you can buy a replacement solenoid. but the cost of the starter maybe a little more but you get a warranty with a complete starter replacement