Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1997 Express 1500.... transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2020, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The end result of my transmission issue

Originally Posted by 1997EXPRESSAZ
My tranny shop says there is nothing mechanically wrong with it after opening it.... the dealership says that the tranny is just wore out without even opening it. I would like to think that it's an electrical problem. Seeing how its intermittent. I'll check the electrical when I get it back.

I took my van to a third transmission shop which was highly recommended. They kept my van a few days then called me back with a couple questions. One of them being if I just changed my fan clutch in which I replied back YES. they had me come down to the shop because they wanted to show me something. So I did. The shop rep and I took it for a cruise and he hooked up a computer to my van as we drove. He showed exactly what was going with the tranny and told me that there was nothing wrong with it. Rpms where spot on with the shifting. The van was still making high revving noise and so I pointed that out to him. He told me that he gets this problem about 5 times a summer. It's the new FAN CLUTCH. He told me fan clutches are notorious for being bad from the auto parts store and ordered me to buy a factory one. I did so and problem went away.
Old September 26th, 2020, 10:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting back, this is interesting.

so was the fan clutch failing to engage or failing to disengage?

I gather your van was actually shifting into OD but was the sound the fan failing to slip and causing the sound. Without a tach it would be hard to know the rpms.

not doubting the issue just trying to understand it. Thanks.
Old September 26th, 2020, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No problem with the doubts

I doubted the issue to the point I actually lightly debated it with the tranny guy. I believe it failed to engage at higher rpms. But, the noise was so loud and similar to the sound of a non shifting transmission that I mislead. The major malfunction is due the fact I've never owned a vehicle that had a fan clutch but, now I'm educated lol.