Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1999 G3500 Express Propane-Powered Shuttle Bus Project

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2020, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 G3500 Express Propane-Powered Shuttle Bus Project

First time posting up on this forum but looking forward to figuring this bus project out.

I've always wanted a Sprinter van to turn into a moto hauler/ mini RV type of thing, but oddly I've never had $50k+ laying around to blow on it. I came into this thing for nothing so I thought I'd play around with it and see. Knowing full well that it will never get good enough gas mileage to justify cross country trips or anything, but weekend runs to the bike trails or ski hills would still be cool.

Planning on gutting the inside for the most part and adding a couple rows of new captains chairs out of a new Toyota Sienna van, then leaving the very back as maybe a bed/dinette area, or just bike storage. Not really sure yet which way it'll go.

It's a 1999 G 3500 Express Minibus/Shuttle Bus(?). "Turtletop" I've seen them called too I guess?

70000 original miles
5.7L 350 fuel-injected Vortec engine that was converted by a previous owner to run strictly on propane with a "PoliAuto" propane atomizer (?)for lack of a better term. The previous owner threw a ton of money at it but couldn't find anyone in town that could figure out how to work on a propane vehicle so it never has run right.

I was thinking I would like to just convert it back to gas with a new tank, fuel pump, filler neck, etc. Maybe even keep the propane tanks underneath for one helluva a Mobile BBQ Wagon, or to just have infinite hot water if i put a shower in it.

I drove it around town for about 700 miles when I first picked it up, but it eventually just backfired and quit and wouldn't start again. (Just like the previous owner said it did to him).
I happened to let it sit for a couple months, then it fired right back up again, but it always feels like it's starving for fuel. Give it more gas and it will pop and stutter and backfire, but you can usually limp it along if you baby it. And forget about climbing any hills or merging into traffic at speed.

​​​​​​If it was a gasoline-powered engine it would seem like a fuel filter is clogged or it's sucking up stuff in the gas tank (which obviously it's not since it runs exclusively on propane).

Any propane vehicle experts out there?

Thanks
Brian

And the best part? I'm "SPECIAL" now. 😁

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Vfrman; July 16th, 2020 at 11:08 AM.
Old July 8th, 2021, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally getting back to this project.

Short of a miracle like someone texting me and telling me they "have had this exact same PoliAuto propane set up and know exactly how to make it scream", I'd like to put together a "parts list" of some kind that I can start to source fuel tank-related bits from because I honestly don't even know what all I need.
1. Fuel tank?
2. Fuel pump?
3. Sending unit?
4. Fuel lines?
5. Sensors?
6. Other elec. bits and pieces?

From what I can tell from the web, this originally had a tank between the frame rails at the back? Maybe 35 gallons? I'd ideally like to keep the propane tanks in place at that location and just add the fuel tank farther forward on the left side as it appears most Express vans do in other configurations? I.e. Find a suitable tank that will fit this space, new fuel pump/sending unit/fuel lines, and just make mounting brackets/straps,/guards etc.

For the future, Is there a trailer hitch made for these, or are they all custom built? It seems like any manufactured hitches don't fit the cutaway. I'm sure I can get one fabbed up, but no sense reinventing the wheel.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Brian

99 Express G3500 Cutaway Short Bus
350 Vortec