Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2000 Chevy express Need help no mechanic has figured it out

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2019, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

can you describe in more detail "won't start"? Paying close attention to what the engine is trying to tell you is key to diagnosis.
The following users liked this post:
apate1231 (December 10th, 2019)
Old December 8th, 2019, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
can you describe in more detail "won't start"? Paying close attention to what the engine is trying to tell you is key to diagnosis.
when I first turn the key and the first time it turns over it almost starts and sputters. Then after that it just turns over and over and over sounding like it isn’t even trying to start. It’s just like if you had a bad fuel pump. But it’s getting around 50 psi at the rail.
Old December 8th, 2019, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

One thing I did notice last night is that when I have the key on run and turn the key like I’m going to start it, but don’t turn it enough to turn over I hear a click towards the back of the van, I haven’t been able to figure out what’s clicking as I don’t have someone to turn the key for me
Old December 8th, 2019, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Also I can not attach the video, but when I tested my fuel pressure when I turn my key on the psi goes up to around 60 psi, then once I start turning the key and it doesn’t start And I’m still cranking it, it quickly drops to around 45 psi and doesn’t build up unless I release the pressure from the schrader valve. Then it will start almost everytime
Old December 8th, 2019, 3:35 PM
Super Moderator

dunno about the click. Could be the fuel pump priming but more likely the starter solenoid. I think you'll have better luck getting a helper to locate that than internet people.

Did you test the plugs? Like pull them out one at a time, crank and observe an actual spark?
If you are getting proper fuel delivery, then the plugs should be wet after unsuccessful cranking like that.
Old December 8th, 2019, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

To me after typing it all out and reading it I almost feel like I need to run a compression test. The way the fuel pressure drops like that is weird. Maybe one of my injectors sticks open when I’m turning it over? Because if I have pressure in the line and let it sit it holds it just fine
Old December 8th, 2019, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
dunno about the click. Could be the fuel pump priming but more likely the starter solenoid. I think you'll have better luck getting a helper to locate that than internet people.

Did you test the plugs? Like pull them out one at a time, crank and observe an actual spark?
If you are getting proper fuel delivery, then the plugs should be wet after unsuccessful cranking like that.

yes I did check the plugs, I had a weak spark so I did a full tune up and checked that they had a good spark. I can’t today but tomorrow I will turn it over and check to see if they are getting fuel to them
Old December 8th, 2019, 3:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by apate1231
To me after typing it all out and reading it I almost feel like I need to run a compression test.
Can't hurt. But I think the engine would have to be pretty worn to cause it to not start at all.

The way the fuel pressure drops like that is weird. Maybe one of my injectors sticks open when I’m turning it over? Because if I have pressure in the line and let it sit it holds it just fine
It's easy to pressurize a closed fuel system that's not running. It's like blowing into a straw that you're pinching off. Maybe the pump can't keep up once the fuel starts flowing. Pressure dropping would confirm that.
Old December 8th, 2019, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Ok guys my dad changed the fuel pump before I got it, so I was thinking it could have some kind of issue with the connection and getting low volts causing low pressure because he’s not that good at wiring things, he installed a Delphi FA10003 wiring connector, and I might be dumb but I can’t seem to figure out how to unplug it
Old December 10th, 2019, 1:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok guys my dad changed the fuel pump before I got it, so I was thinking it could have some kind of issue with the connection and getting low volts causing low pressure because he’s not that good at wiring things, he installed a Delphi FA10003 wiring connector, and I might be dumb but I can’t seem to figure out how to unplug it

I am guessing the connector looks like the one pictured? if so, pop red tab (slides) then press the clip and gently pull and the connector should come out/off

Quick Reply: 2000 Chevy express Need help no mechanic has figured it out