Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2000 Express 1500 12-Passenger

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2012, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Express 1500 12-Passenger

I have several questions I would like to throw out there to the community about my van. I just purchased this van for my growing family, as we just grew out of our mini van. We are experiencing some issues with it and would like to see what ideas you could throw at me as possibilities. Here they are:

1) Gas gauge is weird. When I first got it, it would vibrate a lot, but now it is completely jumping around, but eventually settles. Is there anyway to reset that sensor? or does the tank need to be dropped and sensor replaced? Sounds expensive.

2) Whirring sound - Sometimes (not all) when I turn the wheel I get the sound as if I am overturning the wheel and holding it hard. It will stay like that for a bit then the noise goes away. Intermittent, and it does this when only slightly turning, and noise will stay even when not turning and driving straight.

3) Stuttering / Stalling - On a cold start (not when temps are cold, after sitting overnight or for several hours), and I put it in gear to back out of the driveway it stutters, and if i don't let up on the gas it will stall. This will happen when put in drive as well for about the first minute or so. After that, it drives great. Good acceleration, and responsive at a stop sign or light. Had mass airflow replaced and a vacuum leak fixed, but problem persists...

4) Cosmetically... passenger door panel is cracked, along with some other cracks here and there. What is the best way to repair that? I know it won't look that good, but what will hold it securely? Some clips are broken as well so it flaps a little. I would love to replace the plastic molding, but not sure how much something like that costs. (just plastic molding not electronics or switches or handles)

I know I have a mouthful there with all that but I am more a tech person than cars. I would appreciate any help, answers or whatever you have. i appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and help. My wife will do the most driving in this vehicle since she is with the kids most while I'm at work and I have to make sure this will be reliable for her and the kids. God Bless