Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2001 Express 5.7 problem

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2010, 6:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Express 5.7 problem

I have a 01 5.7 express vortec with 51000 miles. This is a cutaway van that is very well taken care of. Oil changes are every 1000 miles and all other preventive maintenance is performed as well. 3 weeks back the engine light came on for a second and went out. I read the code and it said missfire in #4 cylinder. I had noticed a slight miss at idle only and some loss of power towing up hill-not much. When I pulled the spark plug it was carbon fould severely. I checked other plugs and they looked good-even the carbon fouled plug was white in color. Compression was aronud 150 on the cylinders on passenger side. The oil level had dropped as well-this had never happended in the past. I cleaned the plug and changed the oil-noticed metal shavings on the magnetic plug end not many though. Ran the van and two weeks later the check engine flickered and this code PO300 stated multiple cylinder missfire. Again, #4 was sverely carboned and the threads were wet with oil. The compression as well dropped in this cylinder. The readings starting the engine with compression gauge was #4 90 and the rest on the passenger side 120. The first test I did with the coil unplugged. I am very good with mechanics and plan to buy a new 5.7 engine to replace. Howefver, I have had a past issue with the intake leaking coolant in the fall or cooler months. I found tha this make engine had defective intake gaskets, mine was obviously damaged as one could see. The engine has had plugs, wires and distributer cap replaced only as preventive maintanance. Can someone help me as I need to know what I did or if chevy has had a problem. One note that I heard was chevy also had wrist pin problems. Also, to mention that I never start the engine dry, the oil filter is always filled to the top before installing.
thanks, mark
Old August 6th, 2010, 3:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ur engine

google: G.M.Pistonslap