Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2010 - 3500 has a strange whistle

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2011, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 - 3500 has a strange whistle

This is the strangest sound I've ever heard. It sounds like a high pitch whistle. I only hear it during idling and low speeds. It is not affected by engine RPM, Transmission engaged or in Park, AC on or off. It is difficult to determine if it is a vacuum whistle or high pitched mechanical sound. I've crawled under the van while idling and could not pinpoint it but it is coming from the back half of the vehicle. Naturally, it doesn't make the sound all the time and is difficult to locate. It isn't a consistent sound but varies like a child with a 'flute'.

Any ideas?
Old August 29th, 2011, 3:00 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I would recommend taking the vehicle to the dealership, especially if you are still under warranty. They will be able to diagnose the whistling noise that you are hearing. They will also be the best to go through for fixing it, as well, because there are part and labor warranties for work done that the dealership. Good luck.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Old August 29th, 2011, 3:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If it is under warrenty, yes take it back. If not, the symptoms you describe are or dould be an air leak in the back cabin.
Old August 30th, 2011, 5:42 AM
CF Beginner

It doesn't sound like an air leak and it is coming from underneath the van. It is under warranty and I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I'll post what they found here.
Old May 21st, 2022, 3:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default Whistling nose coming from the rear of my mini van*

Originally Posted by MRaymond1
It doesn't sound like an air leak and it is coming from underneath the van. It is under warranty and I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I'll post what they found here.
Hello,
Did you ever find out what that sound was?
Old May 21st, 2022, 9:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Do you have friends that like to joke around?