Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2014 Express 1500 has rough ride -- suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2019, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2014 Express 1500 has rough ride -- suspension questions

I have a 2014 Express 1500 Explorer conversion. I want to love it, but I just can't. There is something wrong with the way it drives. A few years ago I had the same van but a 2009 model, and that ran smooth as a baby's bottom. I can't figure out what's different.

I bought the van used back in December. I noticed the rougher ride (compared to my 2009) almost immediately. The first thing I did was sell the 20" rims and tires, and put brand new 17" rims and tires on it. I specifically bought the highest comfort-rated tires I could find. That made a slight difference, but didn't fix the problem completely. Then it was getting time for new brakes, so I replaced all four rotors and all brake pads. A few weeks later, I replaced the shocks with OEM shocks, purchased directly from the dealer. I asked if they have any special comfort-ride shocks available but they did not and said the only shock they could see in their system was the original ones from the factory. That improved the ride more, but still not completely.

I called the conversion company to see if they had any information. They did not, said they only touch the inside and everything mechanical is as it was when it left the factory.

Now I'm looking at possibly replacing the springs. I asked the dealer if that might make a difference and they blew off the idea, saying the springs don't usually need replacing unless they break. I asked if they could anyway and they said they'd do whatever I want, but that it wasn't typical so they'd have to call GM to get the correct part number for a quote.

That's where I'm at now.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I really want a more comfortable ride. I'm so disappointed in how it rides right now. It feels as if the body is connected directly to the axle...I can feet everything I drive over. I've looked for aftermarket solutions but nothing jumps out at me, and the local suspension shops aren't any help either. So, what can I do to get this thing to float like a luxury car and stop rattling everything inside every time it hits a bump or hole?

Last edited by Exit236; August 10th, 2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old August 10th, 2019, 11:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not that smart, but the first thing I wondered was if the springs were shot due to the heavier platform built on a light duty base.
Old August 11th, 2019, 6:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 660 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Exit236
what can I do to get this thing to float like a luxury car
Nothing. A van will never ride like a luxury car.

Springs, shocks and tires are the main things affecting the ride.
You could check the so-called Z-trim height and compare to GM specs to see if your springs are sagged out.
Spring and control arm bushings could be worn out, but they wouldn't affect the ride that much.
Stabilizer bar linkage would be another thing to inspect for wear.

Those are the only things I can think of.
Old April 16th, 2020, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm experiencing the exact same problem, did you ever improve the ride?