Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

5.7 won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2022, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 won't stay running

I have a 2000 Exress 3500 5.7. It's been running fine but I ran it low on fuel today it started acting like the fuel filter was stopped up. So I drove to the parts store and got one and on my way home it kept dying. I finally got it home and replaced the filter but it still keeps shutting off. It will start up and run and then shut off. I'm hoping it's not the pump. Any other suggestions before I drop the full tank?
Old June 25th, 2022, 6:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by O'Boyd
I have a 2000 Exress 3500 5.7. It's been running fine but I ran it low on fuel today it started acting like the fuel filter was stopped up. So I drove to the parts store and got one and on my way home it kept dying. I finally got it home and replaced the filter but it still keeps shutting off. It will start up and run and then shut off. I'm hoping it's not the pump. Any other suggestions before I drop the full tank?
They make snake hoses for fuel tanks these days. That said, it might be possible to empty the tank with a cheap electrical 12 volt fuel pump through the fuel line. I made one up myself, and it worked great on my old Chevy Cavalier with a busted fuel pump and a full tank of gasoline...
Old June 25th, 2022, 10:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by O'Boyd
I have a 2000 Exress 3500 5.7. It's been running fine but I ran it low on fuel today it started acting like the fuel filter was stopped up. So I drove to the parts store and got one and on my way home it kept dying. I finally got it home and replaced the filter but it still keeps shutting off. …
The pump screen at the base of the fuel pump is most likely plugged after all these years. The only solution is to replace the pump. Good advice above to drain the tank first. They are enough of a beast in that location even when empty.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (June 25th, 2022)
Old June 26th, 2022, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starving for fuel

My 2000 Express 3500 with a 5.7 ran low on fuel and seemed to suck up some bad gas. I replaced the filter nothing changes. I replaced the fuel pump and crank sensor. Still it won't stay running. It starts and runs when the fuel pump primes but then starves out. Is there something else that can be stopped up or starving it out? Please let me know of anything you may know.