Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

95 chevy G20 rear differential

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 chevy G20 rear differential

I need help can anyone tell me which year rear differential will fit in a 95 Chevy g20 conversion van. I am getting noise from the rear, took it to sears and was told the noise was coming from the rear end. I would like to get a use one but not sure what year would fit it .
Old May 5th, 2012, 6:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you sure it isnt the tires?

ok, well there should be the option codes on a sticker in the glove box?
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:10 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market Nationwide search engine for junkyards. Found a dozen listed in my state alone. The search engine will filter out parts that are not compatible so you'll only get parts from / for similar vehicles.

Your van has a noise at the rear and Sears managed to tell you the same thing? Ya might want to take it to a reputable, local shop that exists for repairs (& not tire sales). If it was a rear differential problem, Sears would likely farm it out for repair anyhow... and charge you the farmed rate + $.

Confirm the noise source & ask the local 4wd guys who they use to set up their gears & you can usually find a shop who knows their way around a rear end. You can rebuild anything in the rear axles unless it's been badly damaged (Been jumping any stumps? ).

Did they pull the rear cover? Could be a pinion nut loose, pinion crush that's sloppy, a bad axle bearing or heck - dragging emergency brakes. Not a lotta details here. What's it doing? Why do you think it's the differential or axles & not the brakes? Tires were mentioned above... any odd wear patterns or bare spots? Have you put it up on jackstands (secured) & ran it to trace the noise? Any wobble in the rear tires?