Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

96 Vortec 5.0 Express Van Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2014, 7:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Vortec 5.0 Express Van Starting Problem

96 Chevy Van.
Hard to start cold after sitting for few hours. Once started and run, it's ok. Runs fine, starts on a dime. Here is what I done already.
New Plugs, wires, fuel filter,check Fuel pump pressure 60, new distributor cap
Fuel additive to clean injectors.
Brand new battery.
Here are some interesting findings:
If I barely turn the key, just enough to engage the starter (1/2 second), then let off, it will sputter, die. Turn the key again just barely to engage the starter, let off,
sputter, die. Eventually repeating this it will sputter and start, maybe after 10 or so tries, 90% of the time.
If I spray starting fluid into the intake, (I think it is the intake), my neighbour did it., will start right up and keep running. and run fine.
If I try to start by turning, holding the key on and cranking for several seconds as people normally do, it will not start, just crank and crank but not start.
Now, this is the weird thing. If I attach jumper cables from my wife's car battery, pos to pos and neg to neg to my van and then try to start it, it will start right up, run fine etc.
This led me to believe it might be the battery, so bought a new battery, but still have same issue. Also found that the car I'm jumping from needs to be running or else I get the same
crank but no start result.
I would really appreciate any help in this matter.
Thanks

Greg
San Antonio, TX.