Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

98 express 1500 front right coil spring noise

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2014, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 express 1500 front right coil spring noise

First time on here. I just installed new ball joints upper and lower, outside tie rod ends, sway bar links. My 98 express 1500 conversion has developed a clunking noise on the passenger front when I turn left or right at slow speeds and accelerating from a stop. It sounds like the coil spring. When I raise the vehicle with the jack on the frame behind the tire I can hear and see the spring move a little and make the noise. What is causing this and what is the fix.
Regards
Paulezy

Last edited by Paulezy; June 4th, 2014 at 7:00 PM.
Old June 4th, 2014, 9:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the spring seated properly?
Old June 5th, 2014, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

I am not sure. I have been trying to research what holds the spring in. Looks like an Insulator on top and bottom and just pressure. It is hard to see up into the top. Any suggestions on how to inspect it. This van has 200 k miles on it and I want another 100k.
Old June 5th, 2014, 11:38 PM
CF Veteran

You had it apart to do the upper and lower ball joints. You may have to retrack your assembley steps....Maybe the bushings are worn.
Old June 6th, 2014, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

I will have the spring out this afternoon. The coil spring insulator is a special order and wont be in until Saturday. What bushing are you talking about? While I have it this far apart is there anything else you think I should pay close attention to?
regards Paul
Old June 6th, 2014, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Insulator is what I meant. No, I guess just check the sway bar bushings and the rest of the front end while yur in there. good luck.
Old June 6th, 2014, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

I got the spring out ok and everything looks remarkably good. The lower control arm seems to have some spring return pressure on it. I always thought it should just fall down to the ground. Is there a bushing or special spring on the lower control arm? Do you have a link to a diagram for this suspension. My chilson manual leaves a lot to be desired. They used to be the best now they are crapola.
regards
Paul
Old June 6th, 2014, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

The lower control arm bushings look like they were replaced pretty recently. I am wondering if the previous owner put new polyurethane bushings in the lower control arm and I am wondering if my squeak might be dry polyurethane bushings rotating. any thoughts?
Old June 8th, 2014, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Not really. sorry. you could call a shop that specializes in suspension and ask them for some insight.
Old June 8th, 2014, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Just a last quick note. It turns out that on the lower control arm there is a pocket that holds the bottom end of the coil spring. That pocket has worn smooth like a thumb print in concrete allowing the bottom of the coil to slide in and out of its seat. The bottom seat should have a vertical hard stop to keep the spring from shifting. Looks like the entire lower control arm needs replaced and inspection on the driver side shows similar wear. SMH