Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

AC all time on!

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2019, 9:06 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know if that clutch is standard in a 2001?
Old May 2nd, 2019, 10:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 355 Likes on 336 Posts

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...an+clutch,6812
Old May 3rd, 2019, 11:53 AM
CF Active Member

Ahh

I could upgrade to an aluminium radiator. Its not that its over heating, but better safe than sorry
Old May 5th, 2019, 1:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneveConversionVan
Its the first time I hear about "cleaning a radiator". How do you do that? a brush and degreaser?
Internally, particularly if someone used tap-water, you might have a build-up of sediments, since hard-water is full of calcium and other minerals that a 50/50 blend or using a blend of de-mineralized water and 100 percent anti-freeze would not allow for. Lots of idiots back in the day ran 100% tap water and no thermostat in the warm months of the year.

These days the cheapest fix is to install a new or a good used radiator, but back in the day, when radiators were built properly, there were two ways to clean the cooling tubes. Remove the tank and run a cleaning rod down the tubes, or use a heavy alkaline additive (toxic as h**l) to dissolve the mineral buildup. Not even sure they sell that stuff nowadays.

These days, with crimped-on plastic tanks, not metal, those solutions are not really an option, so it's best to chuck the radiator for a better, cleaner one or a new one.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; May 5th, 2019 at 2:00 AM.
Old May 5th, 2019, 12:27 PM
CF Active Member

I open the hood and I couldnt see anything lol. Evertything there is just so ”congested” I dont even know from where to start. From the front, yes a lot of bugs and road debris, fins look just fine. So either fans or build up. I will take a look to those aluminium ones, and start from there.
Old May 7th, 2019, 4:25 PM
CF Active Member

Reading web sites and youtbe tutorials to replace the radiator, I found that the radiator also acts as a trasmision cooler?????

The true is that I experienced that peak of temperatura in stop n go traffic (mostly stop because of an accident), 98 F and the two AC on. I dont know if thats an issue, just a 210F peak. After turning off the AC, temps went back to 180s
Old May 7th, 2019, 5:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Reading web sites and youtbe tutorials to replace the radiator, I found that the radiator also acts as a trasmision cooler?????
Yes, that is possible. Most vehicles I have had there are two connections in the radiator for the transmission lines. The transmission fluid goes through part of the radiator to help cool the fluid. The fluid path is isolated from the coolant so they don't mix. This is a standard setup on most vehicles with automatics and is in addition to a transmission cooler that may be in front of the radiator.
Old May 7th, 2019, 6:28 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Doug D
Yes, that is possible. Most vehicles I have had there are two connections in the radiator for the transmission lines. The transmission fluid goes through part of the radiator to help cool the fluid. The fluid path is isolated from the coolant so they don't mix. This is a standard setup on most vehicles with automatics and is in addition to a transmission cooler that may be in front of the radiator.
Yeah. I took a closer look and and I see two oil lines. I couldnt find an external cooler. I wonder if an external oil cooler will be mutually benefitial.
Old May 7th, 2019, 8:51 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah. I took a closer look and and I see two oil lines. I couldnt find an external cooler. I wonder if an external oil cooler will be mutually benefitial.
It could be beneficial. Might help to keep the transmission temperatures down if the vehicle is used to tow a lot. You have to consider if the manufacturer didn't install a external cooler then the engineers deemed it not needed in normal circumstances. Depending on the manufacturer many add the external cooler as part of a tow package. My '06 Ram 1500 has two external coolers - one for the transmission and the other for the engine oil (the Hemi does run on the hot side - 203 F). It does have a towing package.
Old May 8th, 2019, 7:53 AM
CF Active Member

Ah I see. I do not have the tow package, but in the other hand, temps here are 95-100.