Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

AC Controls - Airflow to Floor Vents?

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2018, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Controls - Airflow to Floor Vents?

We seem to be getting outside airflow, from the front passenger floor vents, when all the AC controls are shut off (see picture). Is this normal?
Thanks for the input.

Old December 28th, 2018, 2:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do these vans naturally aspirate? I don't know. You only feel that if you are moving is that correct? If it is vented there should be no way to feel the air unless you are on the highway. Mind you the air outside is cold this time of year. With those settings the fan should be off.

Last edited by dberladyn; December 28th, 2018 at 2:24 PM.
Old December 28th, 2018, 2:31 PM
CF Beginner

That is correct. The floor airflow comes in at speeds greater than 25mph. (Fan is off) It gets stronger as speeds increase.

All my previous vehicles had a recirculate setting with an off option. Just trying to see if this floor airflow is something we have to live with.

Last edited by Altered4x4; December 28th, 2018 at 2:35 PM.
Old December 28th, 2018, 2:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

Even though the blower is stopped, there's nothing to stop air from coming through the system.

Switching the selector to MAX (which recirculates cabin air) should reduce it quite a bit.

Or if you put your temperature selector in the middle somewhere, and match the temperature to what you have inside, then you won't notice the draft as much.
Old December 28th, 2018, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Also, I have noticed the AC controls go to defrost/floor mode when going up step grades. I have read there is a vacuum accumulator that is supposed to remedy this problem. Can the accumulator eventually run out vacuum if the engine has to accelerate for the period of time? Is running out of vacuum for the AC controls a common issue when going up those step grades?

Thanks again for the inputs. I learn something new about our Express every day.
Old December 28th, 2018, 5:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Altered4x4
Can the accumulator eventually run out vacuum if the engine has to accelerate for the period of time? Is running out of vacuum for the AC controls a common issue when going up those step grades?
In theory, yes. And my old Astro van used to do this. In practice however, this has not been an issue with my 2013 Savana/Express. Maybe the vacuum reservoir is bigger, or maybe the V8 has more suction, I don't know.

It's unlikely that the accumulator/reservoir itself is the problem. It's just a simple tank. There's no moving parts or anything else, so there's nothing that can go wrong. More likely you have some loose/leaky tubing, or the the check-valve isn't shutting properly.

If you have a vacuum gauge, you can try 'T'ing it in at various points to help you zero in on the problem.

You didn't mention what you drive, but I'm assuming you don't have a diesel which is a different system altogether.
Old December 28th, 2018, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

My rig is a 2016 Express 2500 6.0 still under the bumper to bumper warranty. I am debating on whether to take it in to the dealer since the intermittent AC issue during load is not easily reproducible.

I will work on getting a vacuum gauge and posting some numbers. I've traced the vacuum line in the engine compartment, without taking things apart and it looks to be in good order.

I also took a look at the vacuum lines under the passenger side and noticed something weird. The brown tube coming from the firewall area is connected to a black tube. There is a brown tube that appears capped off. Common sence would dictate the brown tube should go with the brown tube since all the other tubes are color matched. I could be wrong though. If anyone wants to compare mine to yours, it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Brown tube to black tube? Or brown tube to brown tube?

Last edited by Altered4x4; December 28th, 2018 at 8:42 PM.
Old December 28th, 2018, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mine is the same. I suspect your problem is going to be under the hood. There might even be a sticker with a diagram.
Old December 29th, 2018, 8:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You definitely have a problem. All Astros had this issue, GM knew about it and never fixed it. But an Express shouldn't do it unless there's a vacuum leak.