Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Adding a Tow Hitch

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2015, 3:25 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, I am fairly slow. I just finally installed the wiring harness. I took a common Savana/Express Plug and Play four wire harness and joined it to the Pollak 7/4 way connectors harness. Then I attached 25' 12 gauge wires for the brake controller and constant 12v power. I then Enclosed the whole new custom harness in split loom. It almost looks factory.

I don't know what the older models are like, but in the Left Rear Pillar where I wanted to shoot the harness up the body I ran into a problem. When I removed the access panel, I found a second plastic panel, or block inside the pillar itself. This gave me a big headache. I had to recut all my splices, install the harness in two sections, then solder it all back together. I couldn't slip past the second plastic block/seal any other way.

So my harness goes from the bumper, up the Left Rear Pillar until it plugs into the lights. From there, three wires, Brake, Positive and Ground, run along side the factory wiring on the top left of the inside of the van up to the drivers seat. I haven't planned my next stage yet.

I don't know whether to come down the pillar just behind the drivers seat with these three wires, or to go through the headliner and down the Left Pillar at the windshield. If I am going directly for the battery then the Left Pillar at the windshield is preferable, however I don't want to mess up the headliner or damage the trim on the pillar. Does anyone know how easy this is? Does it all go back together without risking squeaks?

Or is it possible to go down the Pillar behind the seat and tie into the Fuse Block there like the Factory Tow Package does?

I'm picky, I am just looking for the right option. I can now tow a brakeless trailer.

Last edited by dberladyn; April 19th, 2015 at 4:08 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2021, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dberladyn

Ok, I am fairly slow. I just finally installed the wiring harness. I took a common Savana/Express Plug and Play four wire harness and joined it to the Pollak 7/4 way connectors harness. Then I attached 25' 12 gauge wires for the brake controller and constant 12v power. I then Enclosed the whole new custom harness in split loom. It almost looks factory.

I don't know what the older models are like, but in the Left Rear Pillar where I wanted to shoot the harness up the body I ran into a problem. When I removed the access panel, I found a second plastic panel, or block inside the pillar itself. This gave me a big headache. I had to recut all my splices, install the harness in two sections, then solder it all back together. I couldn't slip past the second plastic block/seal any other way.

So my harness goes from the bumper, up the Left Rear Pillar until it plugs into the lights. From there, three wires, Brake, Positive and Ground, run along side the factory wiring on the top left of the inside of the van up to the drivers seat. I haven't planned my next stage yet.

I don't know whether to come down the pillar just behind the drivers seat with these three wires, or to go through the headliner and down the Left Pillar at the windshield. If I am going directly for the battery then the Left Pillar at the windshield is preferable, however I don't want to mess up the headliner or damage the trim on the pillar. Does anyone know how easy this is? Does it all go back together without risking squeaks?

Or is it possible to go down the Pillar behind the seat and tie into the Fuse Block there like the Factory Tow Package does?

I'm picky, I am just looking for the right option. I can now tow a brakeless trailer.
Hi,

I know this is an old post, but I was looking for a way to do this for my van as I currently have a 4 pin wiring harness that needs some TLC and I was trying to figure a way out to get it to a 7 and 4 pin socket like you pictured above. I don't need any brake controller just lights. So you connected the wiring harness with the 7 pin plug to the existing 4 pin wiring harness color to color and that works? If so, I think I will order that kit and do mine.

Thanks!