Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Airbag questions

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2013, 3:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nopp. haven't solved it yet. Looked under the passenger seat, checked some cabels.

But I'm not sure what to look for?
The airbag unit is it located under the driver seat? Behind the fuse box?
If I'll need to check that one, I'll need to remove the driver seat...

Anyone got pics of what I need to look for...

//Michael
Old November 21st, 2013, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

may be a little late with this but you need to check you front end impact sensors also, and rear impact if equipped, look for corroded connectors at impact sensors or rubbed wiring, not sure what the ohm reading should be but you can test both fronts to see if they are the same or about the same
Old November 30th, 2013, 12:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Hi Kenny and the rest of you all..

Thanks for that info Kenny54. No it's not to late, have been messing with it since I hade to do the yearly check don't know for sure what it's called. But it worked during this, but one shockabsorber was worn out. So more work to be done on it.

The thing I did was to pull every connection under the passeger seat apart several times. After that the airbag light just comes on for a very short time, once every now and then. Not the other way around like it was before. So problem not completly solved but I'm getting there..

Question if you mess with the impact sensor, should you always have the battery disconneted? Or is it always of when the ignition is in off position?

Regards Michael
Old November 30th, 2013, 8:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will say in the owners manual about the impact sensor. I know that they say to disconnect the battery if working near the steering column...
The following users liked this post:
Trailrez1 (January 26th, 2023)
Old November 30th, 2013, 9:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the only way to fix this is to retrieve the diagnostic codes. You will need a full function scan tool that can read body codes. Without the codes it will be a needle in a haystack. you will have no clue which circuit to test without the dtc.

there is no weight sensor in the driver's seat. The passenger seat may have one and its purpose is to:
1 prevent deployment of the passenger airbag if the seat is empty.
2 if the occupant is smaller/lighter deploy the air bag with less force...stage 1 deployment
3 deploy the air bag will more force...stage 2 if the occupant is heavier.
Old December 1st, 2013, 10:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know Autozone and perhaps others will let you use their code reader, but does anyone know if they or others have a reader for all computer codes and not just for the engine operation?
Old December 1st, 2013, 7:20 PM
CF Active Member

if you have a local smaller repair shop, they might read the codes for you for cheap. I have one locally that occasionally I will ask them to do some minor things. Normally they don't charge me anything, but will typically give them a $20 for anything they do. It is worth it IMHO.

My cargo van does not have any sensors in the passenger seat, at least no wires are hooked up to the seat anyway. Might be different on a passenger van. I also don't have an ON/OFF airbag switch like some of the vans do?

anytime you mess with airbags stuff (sensors, column, etc) you are much better off just unhooking the battery. Air bags are expensive and a pain to replace if you set one off.

Brew
Old December 2nd, 2013, 4:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Hi guys..

I'm going to do some work at BMW service center next week, I'll ask them if the have a scanner that would work on mine as well?

My scanner doesn't show any body codes. Witch had been fine if it did, but it was a cheap one. So you'll get what you pay for..

Brew
I haven't seen a on/off switch for the airbag on mine.

Tech2
I'll agree, it's not easy to find anything without a real scanner
that tells you what to look for....

Anyway after losen all the connections under the passenger seat several times it seems to be working for the moment, but are the codes stored in the cpu. Or will they just show when it's not working??

One again thanks for your answers..

//Michael

Last edited by Satyr; December 2nd, 2013 at 4:23 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 5:51 AM
CF Active Member

I think after a certain amount of start/stop cycles the code eventually is cleared. if you think it is the switch under the passenger seat, I think I would pull the seat out and clean all the connections well. Then use some dialectic grease in each one. See if that works.

I am guessing good shop will be able to read the code, even if they don't sell GM vehicles.
Old December 14th, 2013, 4:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Hi again, sorry for my late reply...

This is what happend...
I never got to the BMW shop were I should done som work yet...
But after I after losen all the connections under the passenger seat several times. It still looks like it's working fine. Have been driven it about 200 miles and it still works, the light comes on as it should when you start and then no more. So my guess is that it was a faulty connection this time.

Anyway thanks for all your ideas and hints on the way..

Regards Michael

Quick Reply: Airbag questions