Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Alignment issues - vehicle problem or incompetent shop?

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2020, 7:58 AM
CF Active Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Alignment issues - vehicle problem or incompetent shop?

I purchased a 3-year alignment package from Tire Kingdom 2 months ago. I got new tires (at Costco) and immediately got an alignment at Tire Kingdom.

First visit (167,067mi.): https://i.imgur.com/H4W8A2p.jpg

I told them the van was pulling to the right and the steering wheel was not straight. They aligned it test drove it and told me it was “perfect” but that I would likely need new springs/shocks because the camber was “maxed out.” Upon driving home, it still pulled to the right (even worse than before) and the steering wheel was not straight. I didn’t have time to take it back that day.

Second visit (167,090mi): https://i.imgur.com/ZAXD5Ez.jpg

I took it back 2 days later and advised them that the issues had not been fixed. I specifically asked them to check all the front suspension parts so I could replace anything that was damaged or worn out. They did the alignment, test drove it, and the tech and manager again told me everything was “perfect” now. During this alignment, they corrected a toe adjustment that was wrong (that had supposedly been fixed the first time 2 days earlier). They also told me that there were no damaged or worn out parts and that everything - including springs and shocks - were fine. Upon driving it home, it still pulled to the right and the steering wheel was almost straight but still slightly cooked.

Third visit (167741mi): https://i.imgur.com/hP1KiL6.jpg

I installed brand new front coil springs(top-tier Moog), upper control arms(top-tier Moog), and all 4 shocks (top-tier Gabriel). I then took it in for the 3rd alignment. I specifically told them about the steering wheel being crooked and the pull to the right - both issues that they hadn’t corrected in the first two alignments. They aligned it and test drove it. The tech and manager told me again that both the camber and caster adjustments were maxed out and could not meet spec but were as close as possible. They also told me that there were no worn/damaged suspension or steering parts and everything was in great condition. When I asked why the adjustments were maxed out and what could be done to correct this, neither the tech or manager could provide an explanation and said “we don’t have any explanation for this”. Upon driving home, I observed that both the pull to the right and the crooked steering wheel were even worse than before the alignment.

It’s worth noting that I have checked the brake calipers to make sure they aren’t hanging up and causing the pulling issue. I checked them with a laser thermometer after driving (checking the same spots on each rotor and caliper) and they are all very close in temperature. I also removed the wheels and checked them by hand - none of them are dragging. When I replaced the springs/shocks/control arms, I also inspected each and every suspension/steering part myself - everything is good.

The tires are brand new Bridgestone Dueller Revo 3. I purchased and had them balanced/installed at Costco (167,060mi). They are currently wearing evenly.

I’m pretty frustrated and will not return to this Tire Kingdom location again. If 4 of their techs couldn’t get the alignment right and all did it differently, I don’t see the point in going back. They are the highest-rated Tire Kingdom in the area so I don’t know what else to do. I’ve gotten conflicting answers as to the condition of my vehicle, had 4 different alignment techs align and test drive the van and give it back to me with glaring issues, and still do not have a properly aligned vehicle. As you can tell, there are not a lot of miles between alignments. The roads in my city are good with no potholes. I’m a careful driver and avoid hitting things, I take curbs slow, etc. I’m not towing and the van has been mostly empty - no heavy loads. The van is in really good shape and it’s been taken care of. Is this shop really incompetent or is there something wrong with my van?
Old September 6th, 2020, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

post all of the alignment printouts. I need to see what they moved and adjusted. a good shop will provide them; a bad shop won't want you to see what they didn't adjust.

rule of thumb for pulls. if your vehicle can stay in its lane for 5 seconds at 50mph, hands off wheel...there is no pull or lead. if it fails this road test...make sure its not road crown induced. if not, rule out brakes, tire pull and alignment induced pulls.

Last edited by tech2; September 6th, 2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old September 6th, 2020, 2:00 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by tech2
post all of the alignment printouts. I need to see what they moved and adjusted. a good shop will provide them; a bad shop won't want you to see what they didn't adjust.

rule of thumb for pulls. if your vehicle can stay in its lane for 5 seconds at 50mph, hands off wheel...there is no pull or lead. if it fails this road test...make sure its not road crown induced. if not, rule out brakes, tire pull and alignment induced pulls.

The links in my post are the printouts for before and after for each alignment. If you can’t see them I can post the pics here.

I’d say at 50mph it will leave the lane in 2-3 seconds. I’ve tried flat parking lots and several different roads. It pulls on all surfaces.
Old September 6th, 2020, 3:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks to me like they don't know what they are doing, I would defiantly take it somewhere else.
Old September 6th, 2020, 4:36 PM
Super Moderator

from the final alignment printout
so ideally you want cross camber and cross caster to be within 0.5 degrees...generally speaking...higher cross #'s and you will have pull issues.
vehicles will pull to the side of most negative caster and most positive camber.

before continuing...first rule out tire pull...rotate the left side tires to the right and test drive..if the pull is now left or straight...the pull right is tire induced.

if no change from cross rotation; move the left caster to 4.0. not sure what the spec is. even if caster is out of spec but within 0.5 cross caster...your golden as caster angle does not cause tire wear. ideal target probably wants more caster right than left for road crown compensation.

off-center steering is all toe setting. if the total toe is correct and the steering is off-center right...move both tie rods equally...moving the wheels right. if the steering is off-center left...the tie rods must be turned equally to move the wheels left.

Last edited by tech2; September 6th, 2020 at 9:08 PM.
Old September 8th, 2020, 1:44 PM
CF Active Member

from the final alignment printout
so ideally you want cross camber and cross caster to be within 0.5 degrees...generally speaking...higher cross #'s and you will have pull issues.
vehicles will pull to the side of most negative caster and most positive camber.

before continuing...first rule out tire pull...rotate the left side tires to the right and test drive..if the pull is now left or straight...the pull right is tire induced.

if no change from cross rotation; move the left caster to 4.0. not sure what the spec is. even if caster is out of spec but within 0.5 cross caster...your golden as caster angle does not cause tire wear. ideal target probably wants more caster right than left for road crown compensation.

off-center steering is all toe setting. if the total toe is correct and the steering is off-center right...move both tie rods equally...moving the wheels right. if the steering is off-center left...the tie rods must be turned equally to move the wheels left.
Thanks for the info! I took the van to an independent alignment shop and explained the situation. They drove it, aligned it, and drove it again. The guy said that there is nothing wrong with the van and that the techs at TK who did the last 3 alignments didn’t know what they were doing. It drives straight now and the pulling is gone.
The following users liked this post:
Lakeman 903 (September 8th, 2020)
Old September 8th, 2020, 8:03 PM
Super Moderator

post the printout...lets see what they moved.
take the printout back to the tire kingdom and complain. what good is a 3 year alignment package if they can't get one alignment correct.
Old September 9th, 2020, 7:32 AM
CF Active Member

post the printout...lets see what they moved.
take the printout back to the tire kingdom and complain. what good is a 3 year alignment package if they can't get one alignment correct.
It was a handwritten invoice, this shop is old school but they are well-regarded for doing alignments here. They did not write down the measurements but the van tracks straight and the steering wheel is straight. The owner explained it as “those f*ing idiots don’t know what they’re doing, there’s nothing wrong with the van”. Lol. I already opened a case with TK corporate to get a refund on the package. If they won’t give me one I’ll escalate it and/or dispute the charge.