Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Anyone done a headlight Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2015, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone done a headlight Conversion?

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and of course I have a newb question. I just bought a 2500 express and tons of parts to put on it....but I was wondering... Has anyone ever tried to swap the sealed beam headlights and grill for the composite headlights? I would have ordered it with this option but that means I would have gotten chrome bumpers too, which im not fond of on the blue van. Hopefully in a week or two the van will be all ready to go and I can post pics of all the parts and goodies.
Old April 6th, 2015, 6:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chrome is best.....but in your case how about going to a wrecker and see if you can find a van without the front end damage.....not easy though.
Old April 6th, 2015, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

ive found the parts but I dunno if the core support/ mounting is the same between the two...Parts will run me about 400$
Old April 6th, 2015, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

heres the patient
Old April 6th, 2015, 7:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine from parts from certifit. was pretty easy, hardest part is wiring up the harnesses for the lights. If you can find the harnesses from a junked van with the composite headlights, that is easiest.

Here is a link,

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...l-35559/page2/
Old April 6th, 2015, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the link. how did the headlights and adjustment brackets mount? did they use factory hole and hardware or was there a zip tie solution involved?
Old April 6th, 2015, 8:52 PM
CF Beginner

Ive also got parts to do a ton of other stuff- ill have to post a thread on it...involves 3 amps and a face shaking subwoofer.... oh and lots of strobe lights.
Old April 7th, 2015, 6:03 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darkgoatracer
thanks for the link. how did the headlights and adjustment brackets mount? did they use factory hole and hardware or was there a zip tie solution involved?
if you look at the link I posted, in those pictures you cut the radiator support where the yellow line is. In those pics, you also see two x's drawn in yellow. Those are the critical cuts. Everything else is just for clearance. Once you cut it out and cut those areas with the x's, it bolts up just like the factory. It works best to have the new lights there in your hand to see how it works and how much to cut out.
Old April 8th, 2015, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

just a follow up, I picked my self up a slightly used chrome grill for 40$ off craigslist, and ordered a cheapy new set of headlights for 65$off ebay. now if I could just get my van to show up I could get something done. The dealership called today and said the van just got back from the Adrian steel installer, then about 15 minutes later they said that the dividing wall was wrong and it was going back to the installers for the second time.