Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Anyone having problems seeing correctly with split view side mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2018, 10:39 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish now I would have taken pics of the doors with the panels off..
I would have liked to have gone back myself.. and looked at them...
would have given everyone a clear understanding...as to what
to expect behind them... I just wouldnt have thought ....I would use those
pictures...
I do plan on taking my door panels back off again ...but that could be
awhile now that the cold has set in..... from my best recolection
I had the wires in the door for the power mirrors I have electric door locks
and I know it was all together.. wires all together.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100% agree, cant believe they didnt recalled! lets start a class action recall petition.
Old April 27th, 2018, 11:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like mine, can watch trailer tires on bottom portion and big ones for regular viewing. Did put a 3rd small mirror on each for traffic on interstate.
Old November 9th, 2018, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default Power to the replacement mirrors

i am also converting to power/heated mirrors. i have the new switch installed and there seems to be no power coming from the switch to the connector when the different directions are selected. Do i have to put a fuse in the fuse box i haven't had a chance to look if there is one in there for the power mirror switch..

Thanks
Old November 9th, 2018, 10:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by express39
i am also converting to power/heated mirrors. i have the new switch installed and there seems to be no power coming from the switch to the connector when the different directions are selected. Do i have to put a fuse in the fuse box i haven't had a chance to look if there is one in there for the power mirror switch..

Thanks
You might have the wiring for power mirrors on the doors, but not in the body running from the left door under the floor covering to the fusebox and across to the passenger door. When I bought my truck, I had the door wiring but not the body wiring. I simply bought a complete harness of Ebay and used the original factory wires, plugging them into each socket. It worked perfect, as if it was a factory option. No mods, no splices, the proper gauge and color of wire even.
Old November 10th, 2018, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default ?

Dou you happen to have a part number or description so I might be able to find this harness? tks
Old November 10th, 2018, 9:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Dou you happen to have a part number or description so I might be able to find this harness? tks
You do not really need the harness. You can look up your van on GM Upfitters, find the reference to the terminals required, order them from a large electronics distributor like Mouser.com, and just use common wire of any colour. I actually had an extra set of those wires that I was going to sell, but I think I used them. If you want to buy a harness, search your local Craigslist for a Savanna/Express being parted out, or just search for a body harness on ebay. You have to kind of be really luck to find one. For me it was just luck. Not once, but twice. I bought the whole interior wire harness - for everything.
Old November 11th, 2018, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

You were exactly right, the male pins are missing out of the harness connector...Im thinking about cutting the connectors out of the harnesses in the doors and just wiring it myself IF I cant easily find a donor van. Will any changes need to be made on the heater part to the mirror besides changing the hvac control head and possibly adding a relay under the seat? again tks
Old November 11th, 2018, 11:51 PM
CF Pro Member

You were exactly right, the male pins are missing out of the harness connector...Im thinking about cutting the connectors out of the harnesses in the doors and just wiring it myself IF I cant easily find a donor van. Will any changes need to be made on the heater part to the mirror besides changing the hvac control head and possibly adding a relay under the seat? again tks
On my my truck, I simply added the wires, changed the HVAC controls (expensive) to get the button and I do not recall adding relays or the contact pins in the fuse box, but there's a chance I may have. I forget what year yours is, there is different fuseboxes for different years. Depending on your option set, you might not have a fuse box with the appropriate pins and relay, yet I am confident it will all be there. I imagine to save money, GM doesn't put all the pins in all the circuit boards. This is probably where option-sets come into play WT, WT2, LS, LT. It's probably not really the money they are saving on pins and wires in a harness, but more their price-protecting their ability to keep gouging us for vehicle options. If they make it a pain in the ****, expensive, or impossible to add options (like my compass) they can keep gouging us $1000 to get those Vanity Sunshades (if you get my drift).

Just check your fuse box to see if the Relay and the Fuse are there. If they are not, take a look to see if the metal contact pins are there for the Relay and Fuse to plug into.

EDIT

If you are not going to keep it factory for the poor sap who buys it after you, or the poor mechanic who has to work on it, or even for your own sanity, then I suppose you can just hack the power supply for the mirrors too. I did not have to add the wires to the factory defrost button, they were there in my truck. I have AC and no rear HVAC for factory options.

Last edited by dberladyn; November 11th, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old November 12th, 2018, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

fuse for the mirrors is installed and hot. the fuse and relay for the heater is there but no voltage going to the fuse. Im going to get the 12v from the mirror fuse to the mirrors, get a hot wire from the turn signal to the mirror connector R&L, and run wires to the right mirror connector. After that I will have to see where the voltage disappears on the heater fuse in the fuse box. More hunting to do....That upfitter manual you sent is very informative Thanks!