Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Anyone using Dash mounts for gps, phone, ham radios head ?

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2018, 9:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Anyone using Dash mounts for gps, phone, ham radios head ?

Need to get some dash mounts for Garmin, Phone, Ham Radio heads. I need something adjustable and where the heads will be at dash level or above. Don't want anything that interferes with controls, or air vents etc..
Thank you
Ken
Old September 6th, 2018, 8:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I made mine. Not adjustable, but not interfering with vision.

I used scraps of mahogany and aluminum flashing tucked in behind the dash bezel.

Old September 6th, 2018, 11:05 AM
CF Active Member

I had noticed them, but need to be above the dash though. I will have 5 heads probably of different kinds.
Thank you
Ken
Old September 6th, 2018, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Not to sound like I'm giving you a hard time, but that sounds somewhat dangerous. Do you work multiple bands on the road? Or is this a case of having radios that have limited bands, so multiple is how you have to do it? Granted, I'm only a tech so far, and I live in the third largest area in the country (Washington D.C.). But I couldn't see me working HF behind the wheel at all in this traffic. My goal, one day, is to have a rig in the back of my van, and work the airwaves on camping trips or Field Day.

That being said, I'd love to see what you end up with. Many years ago, I professionally installed Business Band stuff (mid to late 1970s).
Old September 6th, 2018, 12:33 PM
CF Active Member

Backup monitor, Garmin GPS, Phone, 710A Kenwood, TS 480HX Kenwood, have others but those would do for now. Nothing unsafe about them as long as I can see, and they have a safe dash mount. Everything uses remote heads and even scanner will be remote.. Will start with first three items at least. You need to upgrade when you can, nothing like hf mobile..
Thank you
Ken
Old September 6th, 2018, 9:33 PM
CF Veteran

So, my head unit is my b/u monitor, and has a bypass to allow me to keep an eye on a trailer going down the road. Most of the time, I use Wayz on my phone, mainly for traffic (although my Garmin does that as well). I used the Garmin for the first time in the van last week, and didn't like where I set it.

So yeah, upgrade is on the radar. I lean more towards a Yaesu, but I've got less of a budget. I think I can get a Chinese SDR and an amp and a tuner, and save money. Although, mobiles aren't that much. I'll worry more about that after I upgrade.
Old September 7th, 2018, 9:00 PM
CF Active Member

I have owned the Kenwoods for awhile, so will use them. I have owned most brands and come back to Kenwood for what I do which is digital modes. I would have to buy radios for DMR, Fusion, Nexedge, D Star . So I stick with Nexedge only . Won't buy chinese radios, as have seen too many hams buy them and have problems of various kinds.
Thank you
Ken