Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Best up grades done

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2017, 1:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The headunit I have is called Parrot Asteroid Smart. It works perfect for what it is, although is quite outdated by now, as I have had it for 4 years, the latest update still runs Android 2.2. It has dual Bluetooth connectivity, meaning it works with the ELM327 and my phone simultaneously. It connects automatically, I don't have to press any buttons. The ELM327 connects to any Android OS device, no matter if it is a phone, tablet or whatever.
You're correct that your info output depends on your ECU, for example my 06 shows the TCC Slip and current gear, but no outside temperature. I used to own a 08 van, that would not show the gear and slip, but showed temp.
You're not correct about the constant power draw. The ELM327 draws 6mA. It will take 381 days to drain a regular 55Ah battery. It can be left plugged in. I recommend the Mini unit for the van, otherwise it'll be hitting your knees. Functionally, they are identical.
In my other work vans, where I am not going to install a fancy system, I just carry an older Android phone that I stick on the dash and have all the info. But really I only need this info when heavy towing full-time, helps me monitor transmission temperature and altitude.
The OEM aux battery tray is secured using those "U-style" clip nuts, size M10 and 15mm head bolts. The frame already has those holes predrilled.
Old October 14th, 2017, 4:24 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Artie1
can you take a couple of pics of your battery set up on the frame ?
I would be interested in checking that out...
as far as the ELM327 its ordered.. did that 4.00am this morning
before work.
MY Double Din head unit is Blue tooth and Android as well as Sirius and pandora
and I heart radio Spotify Monitor with DVD Receiver it says its made for the I phone
It says it has the feature of 2 phone capability .... and I can have up to 5 bluetooth
devices at the same time ... I can take my NEW Galaxy 8 Plus and use it as
a Remote Control ... it also has its own USB .... I can charge my phone while I use it
So far I cant find anything with this Head Unit I dont like,, seems that the more I
read the more functions it has...
Old October 14th, 2017, 8:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What head unit is it, Ron? I haven't had the time to play with my new one, but it's a Pioneer AVH-X380BHS. It will hook up to an Android phone, but it doesn't have Android built in.
Old October 15th, 2017, 5:45 AM
CF Pro Member

This is the box... front and back
the back is were I found all that info I spoke of.
you may have to click on the pic in order to
zoom in and read the print ?
Attached Thumbnails Best up grades done-stereo-1a.jpg   Best up grades done-stereo-2a.jpg  
Old October 15th, 2017, 9:51 AM
CF Veteran

Upon doing a little research, mine does the dual phone thing as well. But unlike Artie's Parrot, neither your Kenwood or my Pioneer have the Android OS built in. And while the head unit has dual phone capability, the phone itself doesn't. At least I've never heard of one that does. That means that the phone can connect to the OBD device, or the head unit, but not both simultaneously. Your Kenwood does have some OBD-like capability if you get the extra IDatalink Maestro RR thingy (BTW, "thingy" is a technical term).

My solution is to use a cheap tablet. I have an Amazon Fire that I'm having my son-in-law root(to get rid of all the crap apps and ads). As soon as I can find it. I've seen it since the move, but I can't seem to put my hands on it now.
Old October 15th, 2017, 10:44 AM
CF Pro Member

STAN
thats a hell of an idea.. using a tablet....
if I am understanding you correctly.. your
thinking of taking the tablet and bluetoothing to the
ELM327 then just use the tablet as your Gauge pod for
all your driving info ?
Old October 15th, 2017, 10:47 AM
CF Pro Member

STAN
check this out

https://www.staples.com/Mount-It-Tab...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Attached Images   
Old October 15th, 2017, 11:25 AM
CF Pro Member

I put my signature license plate on ....I have had these plates made for me since 2008 and I have had other guys
in the RC community want them too...
Attached Thumbnails Best up grades done-rc-pilot-1.jpg  
Old October 15th, 2017, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

And of course, it's red. Nice.

And yes. But not all my driving info. Mainly, I'm wanting a tach, a compass, and outside temp on the main screen. Torque has multiple screens, just like a smart phone, just a swipe away from more screens. I haven't decided what other things I'll have. It depends on what's available(what I have sensors for). As far as mounting, I have something in mind, something that I've already done for my phone, and plan to do for my Ham portable and the tablet. I'm hoping the tablet will cover the unused OnStar panel, as I've hit it twice by accident.

I got out to play with the radio a bit. Basically setting the clock and presets on the FM. And pairing my phone. I'm happy.
Old October 15th, 2017, 12:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
My solution is to use a cheap tablet. I have an Amazon Fire that I'm having my son-in-law root(to get rid of all the crap apps and ads).
Hi guys, when ordering the ELM327 look for the latest version v2.2. And the Torque app, I think is just in Google Play Store, the Amazon Fire has Amazon apps, no Play Store, unless you want to install Google Play Store on the Amazon tablet: https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how...n-fire-tablet/.

Quick Reply: Best up grades done