Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Can't go over 75mph

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2019, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went the dealership on Friday to get the FOB's programmed and the limiter removed. Well they couldn't remove the speed limiter and it has to go thru some group in Chevy corp to get it reprogrammed. The dealer had to write an email saying it was no longer a corporate own vehicle and also had to include pictures of the van, license plate and the registration. Then they had to wait to see if Chevy corp would do it. That was at 9am. By 4pm the dealership called to say Chevy approved it, gee thanks, and that the new code was ready for them to download. So I get to go back on Monday to get this finally taken care of. Oh and Chevy charges $100 for doing this so I get to pay the dealership for their charge and the Chevy charge. So $200 to remove the speed limiter that the previous company put on it to keep the driver from speeding. The Chevy dealership suggested I asked the used car lot I purchased it from to pay for it. I said I agreed to their "as is" terms when I purchased it and there would likely very little help from them. So I eat the cost. I also called Chevy and asked for a one time wave of the fee, they said no.

Upside, the Chevy dealership only charged me $50 to add my FOBs into the vans system. I think they gave me a break on the cost because I was not happy with the limiter removal issue.
Old January 6th, 2019, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

"as-is" terms from car dealer sounds really shady.
It's pretty much unheard of around here.
Old January 6th, 2019, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
"as-is" terms from car dealer sounds really shady.
It's pretty much unheard of around here.
Not sure where you are but every used car lot, even at the dealers, all have "as-is" on their used vehicles. Then they of course try to sell you an extended warranty. But non the less, as-is is very standard on used vehicles.
Old January 6th, 2019, 1:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 198 Posts

Our used car lots also have a windo sticker with two boxes - "as is" or some kind of warranty - believe it's a requirement to sell used in WA
Old January 6th, 2019, 2:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

I guess it could exist, but I have never seen an as-is sticker. Every dealer I've dealt with said I could come back if there were issues, and indeed I have.
Old January 6th, 2019, 3:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as is stickers required in Nebraska.
Old January 6th, 2019, 5:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... and Virginia.
Old January 6th, 2019, 8:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ps0303
Spoke with another dealer. They quoted a rate of $130 plus tax to program the FOBs and remove the speed limiter.
I did initially talk with a locksmith for just the FOBs and they wanted $80 to program them. But now with two programming issues, it does look like a dealer I will have to go and just let them do it all.
I am going to get a new key fob soon. Locksmith quoted me $39 USD to etch the key. The programming can be done by you if you have another fob.
Old January 7th, 2019, 12:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

75mph isn't bad!

Old February 10th, 2019, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I've read elsewhere you could buy an ECU off eBay, and replace it yourself easily.