Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Considerable brake pad wear left rear

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2020, 6:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Considerable brake pad wear left rear

I suspect that the caliper could be the culprit, but I've not ever found it to stick. The slides and bolts are cleaned and lubed. Even polished the ends of the pads. Is there another likely cause? The van has 125,000 miles.
Old September 5th, 2020, 6:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

I have heard of brake pads dragging because the rubber flex lines have collapsed.
Old September 5th, 2020, 6:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

did you clean the rust out of the bracket under the clips. the pads should slid freely when mounted in the braket
Old September 6th, 2020, 8:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the piston, it may have rusted. Had this happen with my '05, both rear calipers worked fine but when trying to put new pads in place, couldn't compress the pistons enough to fit over the rotors. Rust was the problem, due to water in the old brake fluid. This can cause the piston to advance when braking, but not retreat enough when released and the pads will continue to scrub and wear faster.

Replaced pistons and seals, all good.

Old September 6th, 2020, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

to the op...what are you using to compress the piston? You say its moving but if u r using a C-clamp; it's to strong. it will compress will compress a seized piston.
Old September 6th, 2020, 3:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, using the C clamp to push the pistons in with. When I put it back together with the pads, depressed the brake and the caliper released immediately when the pedal was lifted. Mechanically the pins and slides are cleaned, free and lubed. Pads and rotors were replaced 20,000 miles ago. Powerstop w/ slotted rotors. About a month back and about 1000 miles ago, I heard squealers. Checked all 4 wheels and this left rear was quite thin. I actually took the previous old pads and installed them a month ago. Yesterday I pulled the wheel again and in that 1000 miles, the pads wore off about 3/16" of an inch. Equally on that wheel.
Now, I don't know who's pads they were. They could have been EBC or Fred's house of brake pads. They weren't painted, so I'm guessing the latter. I know that I had EBC on the front prior. I would think that anything shouldn't of worn that severely. The van is loaded and used on lots of short trips on winding country roads. What I can tell you that I've come home and taken my rotor temps and that rotor can be 150+ degrees hotter than the right. IE 500+ vs 350. On the way home, I have a longer hill to come down and I expect them to be hot. I guess what may make sense is to replace both rear calipers, pads and hoses. I appreciate the reminder that hoses can cause a slow retraction. I saw one twisted once years back that did. Maybe the other side isn't pulling its weight. All I know is that anytime I check for a drag, I have none. Thanks for your replies. Any brands of calipers you like, or dislike? Think of anything else, I'm all ears.
Old September 12th, 2020, 3:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the rotors (not swap, actually check)? Possible that one is warped a bit, pretty likely with the higher temp, has to be rubbing more than the others.

Putting old pads on, not a good mix, expect wear right away and could cause problems. I'm also not a fan of slotted rotors, you don't get much, unless you're racing or similar. And they're not as robust as solid.