Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Crank no start

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2023, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank no start

Hi, I have a 99 1500 express 5.7. It has a new fuel pump filter and ignition switch. It was gone, then one evening don’t want to turn over. Started on the 3rd try. A couple days later same thing. Did a 230 mile round trip excursion yesterday with no issues. Today no start. It’s new to me, the person I got it from out rn e new fuel pump in- I read in another forum if it’s not OEM it will cause pressure issues. Is this true?

Any help to start is appreciated. We are new to fixing vehicles, my husbands good with electrical and actually excited to try to tackle some of the issues we know we will have as we turn this van into a camper/travel van. We had just hoped not to have issues 2 weeks after we got it.

Again, any help on where to best start is appreciated.
Old May 21st, 2023, 6:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Yes, non OEM pumps tend to be crappy.

confirm fuel issues by using starting fluid to start up. A gauge can be used to measure fuel pressure.
The following users liked this post:
Pourgirl_gone_hiking (May 22nd, 2023)
Old May 22nd, 2023, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, I may have to bring it to our mechanic for that if we need a gauge to diagnose it. I am hoping but also not sure if that's the right thing to hope, the guy used an after-market fuel pump and its that simple vs other things I have seen suggested in other posts (grounding etc) Thanks for a jumping-off point @mountainmanjoe - appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Old May 22nd, 2023, 8:27 AM
CF Beginner

I should add it started this morning. I cant figure it out. Both times it did this and I was out, it started on the 3rd try. Will still start here.