Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Creative Ways To Deal With Interior Fuel Inlet Area Behind Driver's Seat

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2013, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creative Ways To Deal With Interior Fuel Inlet Area Behind Driver's Seat

Hi everyone....

In the very near future I am 99% likely going to be getting a 2009 G3500 cargo van.

I used to have a 1990 Chevy G20, and had fixed the interior up with carpet over 1/4" plywood over insulation on the interior of the ceiling, sides and doors.

Well, quite obviously, the fuel inlet is now on the drivers side just behind the driver's seat....and it is messing up my interior design plans.

I am thinking of possibly building a sort of "storage box" just high enough off the floor and just out enough from the wall to hide the thing.

As with my old G20 (RIP), I will be covering the entire interior in carpet, and having that thing there just bugs the crap outta me. I do agree with it being there for safety purposes (fuel tank inside the frame and all), but it makes it difficult to make it look cool.

Here is an image posted by SnoDrtRider in the "Show Your Van" thread:

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...e7/#post236389

I guess I am partly mumbling to myself about this, but would be interested in hearing any stories about creative things any of you people have done to work around the fuel inlet area to improve the visual aspect of it. Hiding it, painting it, covering it in carpet, drilling holes in it to fumigate the van, etc.

Note that I want to leave the van as open as possible, with the exception of building a bed about the height of the wheel wells in back. If I had my way, where that fuel inlet is, the carpet on plywood I am putting on the wall would just extend down to the floor, but Chevy decided to screw up that plan. Which reminds me....another thing that Chevy did was locate the bottoms of the "wall studs" that rest on top of the rear wheel wells too far inward (as can also be seen in the above photos). I am going to have to raise the level of the bed (plywood and 2 X 4s) up high enough to cover those up.

I do not mind improvements in structural integrity, but as an amateur Chevy Van interior designer with simple tastes, it can be irritating when stuff like this gets in the way.