Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Cruise Control Retrofit / Steering Wheel Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2021, 4:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally got an update from GM. They said they don't recognize the 25849482 part number. I'm wondering if something got lost in translation and perhaps they just meant that the 25849482 steering wheel wasn't an option on my particular model.

I am going to try the dealer again and see if they can do the program with the
84443329 steering wheel part number.

Old May 31st, 2021, 6:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Got in contact with the dealer. The tech said he thinks the 8443329 part number will work to get it programmed, so I'm going in tomorrow.

I'm hoping the audio controls will start working after the program is done. If they do not, I'm somewhat optimistic I can tap into the steering wheel control signal wire and feed that into the Axxess AWSC-1 and do a manual program. The steering wheel control signal wire is just a basic resistive based steering wheel control.
Old June 1st, 2021, 8:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Success! $185 later, the dealer programmed the BCM and got cruise control working. They asked me for the receipt for the steering wheel, and I told them they didn't have it. They got a little creative and updated the service request to include the part numbers and sent that in to the GM/TAC. A few hours later, they got the updated BCM program from GM/TAC.

While cruise control worked, the radio controls did not work with the stock radio.

I reinstalled my aftermarket stereo and the Metra Axxess AWSC-1 and tapped the "Vol Up" button a few times to auto program the AWSC-1, and the radio controls started working. I did not try that before, so it's possible those were working before the BCM program. Pretty happy I don't have to tap into the steering wheel control signal wire and do a manual program.
Old June 4th, 2021, 5:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default cruise and radio buttons

[QUOTE=jamesm113;465294]Well, an update. Took it into my chevy dealer yesterday, and provided the part numbers for the new steering wheel (25849482), sir coil/clock spring (20906820) and steering column wiring harness (19210255) as per PIT4844J.

The tech called TAC and TAC said that the program wouldn't work with my current setup. The service advisor gave me a GM case number, but didn't have many details other than it wouldn't work at this time. Of course, GM couldn't find the case number, and the tech is on vacation today, so I'm waiting to get more details on why it wouldn't work.[/QUOTE

what vehicle are you working on?08 express? i looked up the part numbers you gave for column harnes and clock spring,neither gave an indication that there were seperate versions for cruise and without.in my 07 silverado it already had cruise so i just replaced the extension harness and added the audio button and everything worked without flashing bcm.i am interested in doing the same in my 08 express.it is a base model.do you put the parts in yourself or did you have someone do it?
Old June 6th, 2021, 10:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Edward Andriaccio
what vehicle are you working on?08 express? i looked up the part numbers you gave for column harnes and clock spring,neither gave an indication that there were seperate versions for cruise and without.in my 07 silverado it already had cruise so i just replaced the extension harness and added the audio button and everything worked without flashing bcm.i am interested in doing the same in my 08 express.it is a base model.do you put the parts in yourself or did you have someone do it?
2013 Express.

Correct, the only difference between cruise control/audio controls was different steering wheel part numbers. However the PIT4844J TSB (link here: https://www.tsbsearch.com/Chevrolet/PIT4844J) says that GM would need those part numbers to provide the VCI/calibration to do the new BCM program..

I put the steering wheel in myself, it was pretty easy. Did not even need a puller.
Old June 9th, 2021, 5:16 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by jamesm113
2013 Express.

Correct, the only difference between cruise control/audio controls was different steering wheel part numbers. However the PIT4844J TSB (link here: https://www.tsbsearch.com/Chevrolet/PIT4844J) says that GM would need those part numbers to provide the VCI/calibration to do the new BCM program..

I put the steering wheel in myself, it was pretty easy. Did not even need a puller.

ok so you didn't have to replace the column harness or clock spring you just had the numbers for dealer reference?
Old June 9th, 2021, 5:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Edward Andriaccio
ok so you didn't have to replace the column harness or clock spring you just had the numbers for dealer reference?
Correct. I only replaced the steering wheel.
Old July 11th, 2021, 9:02 AM
CF Active Member

Default cruise control added

so my truck is an 08 chevy express base model,after reading the posts on here i figured i would add this feature to my truck.i was ready to bite the bullet and bring my truck in for programming.i added the steering wheel with the buttons for cruise and radio control.when i pushed the on/off button for cruise it lite up.so i took it on the highway and tried to engage the cruise...........IT WORKS!!!!!.....i just saved myself $280 dollars,then i went to my local car radio shop and bought a module for the audio button(i dont have a factory radio).....and now that works also.im thinking the newer trucks have to be programmed because gm realized and didnt want to lose out on making some extra cash off of people....just my 2 cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward Andriaccio:
Expresscv (April 2nd, 2023), jamesm113 (July 11th, 2021)
Old November 22nd, 2023, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2012 exp 3500

Hello, I own a 2012 express 3500 cut away. It does not have cruise control or radio controls. I have an aftermarket radio. Can I successfully put the steering wheel that has cruise control and radio controls on it and get the dealer to make the cruise control work and then make the radio controls work also? Thanks, John
Old November 22nd, 2023, 8:38 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by jhengleman@gmail.com
Hello, I own a 2012 express 3500 cut away. It does not have cruise control or radio controls. I have an aftermarket radio. Can I successfully put the steering wheel that has cruise control and radio controls on it and get the dealer to make the cruise control work and then make the radio controls work also? Thanks, John
you should be able to buy the steering wheel complete on rock auto.try it first before bringing it to dealer.the module for radio controls you can get on amazon or ebay

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Retrofit / Steering Wheel Questions